Any way to get the pops and clicks out of vinyl?
Oct 29, 2005 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EricP

100+ Head-Fier
Or are they just inherant? Has to be from static in some way, is there a way to de-static-fy a record previous to playing? I'm really enjoying my new vinyl rig, and I suppose I could get used to it, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Oct 29, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
It might be static, or could just be some dust or grit you didn't get out - or in the case of new discs, bits of vinyl chaff or dust from the manufacturing and trimming process stuck in the grooves. There's a company called Milty that has reissued the Zerostat anti-static gun:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc..../it.A/id.26/.f

A wet record cleaner from VPI or Nitty Gritty will help the most. For an exhaustive process for record cleaning, if you're feeling particularly anal retentive:

http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=54

Oct 29, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 11
Or it could be small bits of dust burnt into the vinyl. Afterall there's some tough forces at play.

Oct 29, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Nitty Gritty fluid, Disc Doctor fluid and brushes, record cleaning machine, deram light brush, anti-static gun, changing your chewed up stylus, new sleeves, better storage, proper VTA weight, properly-aligned cartridge, leveled table, playing non-warpred records... I could go on.

The point is, accentuated floor noise and ticks/pops are caused by an almost infinite amount of things. Just conduct your listening as well-mannered and intelligently as possible in order to alleviate the chances of hearing such noise.

Oct 29, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 11
The Vintage Click & Pop Assassin SAE Model 5000 will do the trick, if you can find one; many feel you can use a decent Digital Audio Workstation as stated here .
SAE_5000_Front_full.jpg

I actually thought this device was so cool since it had an invert mode, permitting you to hear what it is removing (just clicks and pops).

Oct 29, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
The Vintage Click & Pop Assassin SAE Model 5000 will do the trick, if you can find one; many feel you can use a decent Digital Audio Workstation as stated here .
SAE_5000_Front_full.jpg

I actually thought this device was so cool since it had an invert mode, permitting you to hear what it is removing (just clicks and pops).

Man, I have not see one of those in 25 years!

Oct 29, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't know about you, but I love the little pops and clicks, makes me very nostalgic and helps me with the whole psychological "in the mood" thing. But I'm insane.

Oct 29, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 11
I have one of those SAE boxes, and it's pretty much useless to me. It only works on gunshot pops, and in order to get it to remove them, you have to turn the sensitivity up to the point where drum hits start being affected.

The pro version of this type of analogue declicker is the Burwen TNE7000a. Burwen units were common in recording studios at one time. The Burwen is much more sensitive and adjustable than the SAE, and the error correction gate operates up into the tens of thousandths of a second, so 9.99999% of the time, it's passing the signal direct through clean with no processing. The TNE7000a sells at ebay for about $200 usually. Compared to it, the SAE is a toy.

See ya
Steve

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 11
It can also be evidence of a bad stylus, a once good but now worn out stylus, and generally bad turntable setup. Assuming the LP's is in at least reasonable condition, contrary to general wisdon, LP's are not that noisy, and very audible surface noise, rumbling, hissing and cracking/popping noises are not inherent to the medium so much as inherent to bad playback.

My turntable set up is no more than mid-fi (Rega P3, RB300, Exact), and produces very little extraneous noise. In fact, it's with great joy that I can put on an LP and remastered CD version of the same recording and try to get people to guess which is which. On my best quality LP's, they can't tell which is which, and always enjoy the LP more...

Anyway, I'd say it's the cartridge. I had an old LINN K18II which was rather worn out, and produced way too much crackling and popping. When I changed to a nice new Rega Exact, the very same LP's were near silent (except for the music of course :p)

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 11
First of all, my apologies for the necro bump on this one. But I've got a similar issue.

I've been buying vinyl for the past 2 years or so now, at the moment I've got about 350 records so still a relatively modest collection. I take good care of all my records and all of them are still in very good condition.
However though, yesterday I received a new record that had so many pops and crackles in it that it kind of shocked me.

It was Johann Johannsson - Copenhagen Dreams, an absolutely beautiful album. The record was brand new as well, it was still sealed and came perfectly packed. But when I played it I noticed an extensive amount of pops and crackles, and not just during some parts, no, I mean literally every second of every single track on both sides...
I just don't know how this is possible? The record itself looks fine by the way, there's no sign of any dirt or damages.

It's not too bad when I listen to the record on my studio monitors though, they're definitely still there but it's not as annoying as when you're listening to the record on headphones. Then it's just absolutely unbearable.

So could anyon tell me how this is possible with a brand new record and if there perhaps is some way for me to get rid of the crackles?

It just really bumped me out to be honest. It's such a beatiful record and I had to wait almost 2 weeks for it to get here, and now that it has finally arrived I just can't enjoy it properly.

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Even if a vinyl record is new, it can still accumulate moisture, depending on how long it was stored.  Probably a fungus or particles are in the groves. This is the bane of vinyl.  If you want to eliminate the pop and clicks at the source, you need a really good cleaning routine.  You need a enzymatic type clearer to break appear the particles, then vacuum them off. 

This is the stuff I use. 

http://www.audiointelligent.com/products.htm

It designed to be used with a record cleaning machine, such as the VPI 16.5 cleaner. 

To ge the best out of vinyl, cleaning the vinyl becomes a necessity.  IMHO.

- No Disc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back