Any way to get my AKGs refurbished?
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Eric M

100+ Head-Fier
Not gonna beat around the bush, I didn't take care good care of my AKG701s and they are pretty ****ed up now. I've opened them up many time to resolder the wires I broke and did a crappy job and there are other problems. I believe the drivers are fine, but many of the plastic parts of the covers are broken or damaged.

Can AKG refurbish headphones for a fee? I wouldn't mind paying $100 to get them fixed up. Or anywhere else to mail to get them repaired?

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 11
honestly I'm gonna guess they'll tell you to pound sand, because you've opened them (voiding the warranty, ironically as a result, they'll likely refuse to repair them for a fee, even though warranty repairs are a net "loss" for them
rolleyes.gif
)

but who knows, they could come through and be great about it, I'm just speaking from experience with other vendors/manufacturers (if you void their warranty, they basically treat you as "untouchable")

oh, and if you've ripped them apart, how does the wire go from the left cup to the right cup? is it "hidden" in the hoops over the head? or what? (I've always wondered, but didn't wanna rip mine apart
redface.gif
)

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 11
If you do a google search (likely for akg k701 service manual) there is a document out there that lists the exact part numbers for all of the k701 parts. All you need to do is figure out which peices you need and order them direct from AKG, they have a separate dept. for that.

BTW if you need a new silver circle grill I have one I can sell to you.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

The hoops are the actual conductors. The wires from the cable get soldered directly to them.

And this hoops are actually made of coathangers
smily_headphones1.gif
(after the infamous Monster comparison)

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 11
You can find them NEW for $230.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back