Any way to fix this?
Feb 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RRod

Headphoneus Supremus
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmVtb5IwniEOUdZV3Fxb3BVa2M/view?usp=sharing

Drives me mad because otherwise it's a great sounding track, and a fun piece. I tried hacking with Audacity's repair tool at obvious bad samples / spectrogram regions, but nothing really convincing came out. Any suggestions?

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 10
It appears to be ripped from a defective CD. There are regular occurrences of held values. The drive appears to be outputting the last known good sample value until another known good sample arrives.
You can see this very clearly in Audacity. Using the Spectrogram view, you can see regular bursts of HF energy up to 20 KHz. If you select one of them, zoom to selection and change to waveform view, you can see the "held" samples.
Either re-rip from a good CD, or cut'n'paste. (For each occurrence, mark a short piece of adjacent audio that looks like a good fit over the held sample area, and paste it over.)

Or, you might be looking at a rip of a disc containing one of the Cactus Data copy protection schemes, where they deliberately inserted errors. You wouldn't normally hear them on a CD player because the player would interpolate over the error and produce an output sample close to what the original was, but you would hear "clicking" on a rip because the ripped data contained the errors. Your example doesn't quite look like that, though.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Don Hills has it here.  Go find the stuck samples and use the draw tool in Audacity to take the straight looking portions and curve them some.  Might take a few attempts to make it sound seamless.  Most of them are just past the 1.35 mark in the file you posted. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 10
  It appears to be ripped from a defective CD. There are regular occurrences of held values. The drive appears to be outputting the last known good sample value until another known good sample arrives.
You can see this very clearly in Audacity. Using the Spectrogram view, you can see regular bursts of HF energy up to 20 KHz. If you select one of them, zoom to selection and change to waveform view, you can see the "held" samples.
Either re-rip from a good CD, or cut'n'paste. (For each occurrence, mark a short piece of adjacent audio that looks like a good fit over the held sample area, and paste it over.)

Or, you might be looking at a rip of a disc containing one of the Cactus Data copy protection schemes, where they deliberately inserted errors. You wouldn't normally hear them on a CD player because the player would interpolate over the error and produce an output sample close to what the original was, but you would hear "clicking" on a rip because the ripped data contained the errors. Your example doesn't quite look like that, though.

Actually I downloaded the MP3 version from the company and it also has the clicks, but perhaps they also ripped that from a CD and they had a bad production batch? Either way, having paid for it twice already I'm all for trying ninja options 
ph34r.gif
 I saw the stuck areas in Audacity, but I hadn't tried copy-pasting (just the "repair" tool). Will give it a shot, thanks!

I ran the sample through RX4 with the declicking tool it seem adjusting to remove 151 clicks  worked pretty well in the minute or two I played with it.

Great, if I can get Audacity to work I'll try that.

Don Hills has it here.  Go find the stuck samples and use the draw tool in Audacity to take the straight looking portions and curve them some.  Might take a few attempts to make it sound seamless.  Most of them are just past the 1.35 mark in the file you posted. 

I think this is what the repair tool tries via interpolation, but hand-drawing or copy-pasta (as Don suggested) is probably worth a try.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 10
  Given that it's audibly defective, you should hassle them for replacement or refund.

Given what you said about the possible CD error, I think I'll just do that. No reviews I've seen have mentioned the clicks (odd for the anal-retentive classical crowd), so maybe there are good discs out there. Thanks again!

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Entertaining follow-up:
Evidently this track won a Grammy ^_^
http://clevelandchambersymphony.org/cleveland-chamber-symphony-vol-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back