Any Way to Eliminate White Noise?
May 10, 2005 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mith

100+ Head-Fier
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116249

I have the amp described in the above link. I bought the amp knowing there would be a bit of white noise with it. Now, I love the sound of it but while there is no sound it can be somewhat annoying to have that white noise. Generally, what is a good way of getting rid of that. mourip did provide me with some tubes for rolling so I guess I'll give that a try. Thanks Head-Fi!

May 11, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 4
How sensitive are you headphones? Does the amp have 120ohm output resistors? By adding thoes you should have a slight drop in volume, and if the noise is not volume dependant then simply turning up the volume slightly will reduce it.

May 11, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, the headphones I use are the AKG K271S, AudioTechnica ATH-AD7, and Koss PortaPro. All have stock cables. Now, I do have a terrymx 100ohm resistor cable but that doesn't seem to make a difference in sound with this. When I change the volume level it doesn't do anything with the noise just louder or quieter.

May 11, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Once noise is generated, you cannot get rid of it in any linear fashion. (And the nonlinear ones damage the signal.) That's the nature of noise: it's impossible to predict, by definition, so you can't know what to remove and what to leave.

The fix is to change the circuit design so that less noise is generated, if possible. That probably means soldering iron work, and almost certainly fairly deep knowldge of the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back