Any watch experts out there?
Mar 5, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 31
I'll echo Bootman's sentiments exactly. I've owned a Tag Heuer for nearly 15 years and have replaced the batteries 4 or 5 times and the band once ( only because of abuse ) The last time I took it in for a battery, to tide me over, I picked up a relatively inexpensive Tissot which appears to be built equally as well but for 1/4 the price. Quality doesn't go out of style.

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 31
You might want to consider going to one of the upscale outlet malls and have a look at a Movado outlet store. You get the full warranty benefits, and they usually run sales pretty consistently (they stagger the percent off, so the higher you go, the more you "save"). And, they have all the brands from the Movado Group, so you get a selection from Concord, Movado, Coach and ESQ. With that range of brands, they'll have a number of watches similar to the pics you posted, and you can actually try them on.

A nice thing about the outlet stores is that they will change batteries there for you while you wait, so you don't have to be bothered to send it to one of those authorized service centers.

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #18 of 31
Whoa! I wasn't expecting this big of a response so soon. Thanks for all the info.

Bootman:
The Tag 2000 Classic series really echos the look that I am going for. I remember my friend got one as a gift a few years back (quartz), and I thought it was pretty damn handsome. I will do some shopping this Saturday online and at some b&m stores. I looked at some Tissots online, but I don't seem to like them as much. I am going to take a look in person though because I know that makes all the difference.

Lisa:
I have a Pulsar chronograph from a few years ago that is pretty nice. It was also relatively inexpensive. As far as I can see, Pulsar only makes quartz watches, and I have a few of those already. This time around I really want something mechanical.

Nisbeth:
That Tissot is actually one of the few that I like the look of. A quick search tells me that they don't come in a mechanical form though, but I'll check that out more throughly later.

emelius:
Thanks for the timezone.com suggestion. I spent about 3 hours there yesterday. It was kind of like when I came here for the first time. There is a good load of info on that site, and it will take a few days to sort though. Ill check out those other references too.

slindeman:
I briefly checked out that forum you mentioned yesterday, but I'll have to look more in depth. I took a quick look at the Titoni website, and nothing really jumped out at me. By the way, why wouldn't you recommend your Poljot? I have heard a lot about quality control concerns and hit or miss quality. Does this have something to do with it?

Canman
I think I have to look more at the Oris brand. Some of their watches have a military type look that I am going for. I don't think I would consider a rubber band though. They just don't sound all that comfortable. Then again, the bands on my Timex digital watches don't bother me all that much if I leave them loose enough. Its just that I tend to sweat a lot, and the rubber bands that I have tried tend to stick to my skin more so than bracelets.

kentamcolin
I really like the look of that Hamilton as well. One reason why it appeals to me so much is because of the see through caseback. I just have to see it in person though to really know if it is for me. I hope to see it as well as that Tissot possibly Saturday during my jewelery store trek across North Jersey. The particular Tissot that you mention may not be rugged enough for me though.

Rob N
Actually, contrary to my statement about me not wanting a quartz earlier, there is one Seiko that sparks my interest. That would be Arctura. Quite a different style than the other watches that I like, but it is pretty handsome none the less. It is a kinetic watch so it still powers itself which I like.

Barry
Nice suggestion, but I think I want to go with a new or relatively new watch. I am not too interested in a vintage watch at this time.

Music Fanatic
Well the pictures that I posted give a good impression of the general look that I am going for. As far as features, I prefer a date and would really like a mechanical movement. Sapphire crystal would also be good. I do not necessarily need a chronograph, but it would be a nice feature.

mojoman
I took a quick look into Sector but could not find all that much information. I didn't see a website for the company but I did see a few web stores with some models listed. I do not think they have anything that interests me stylewise.

mbriant
Well with all of these Tag Heuer and Tissot recommendations, I will definately make sure to check them out this weekend.

Thanks again, and keep the info coming!

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

A nice thing about the outlet stores is that they will change batteries there for you while you wait, so you don't have to be bothered to send it to one of those authorized service centers.

When changing a battery, to retain guaranteed water resistance, certain watches, (100 meters/200 meters etc.), must have gaskets replaced by an authorized technician or watchmaker who stocks these brand-specific gaskets. Unfortunately, some brands/models will still have to go in for authorized service.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
When changing a battery, to retain guaranteed water resistance, certain watches, (100 meters/200 meters etc.), must have gaskets replaced by an authorized technician or watchmaker who stocks these brand-specific gaskets. Unfortunately, some brands/models will still have to go in for authorized service.

I had to do this with the watch that recently broke since it was a 200m dive watch. My Luminox would have to go in for service for a battery change as well. Otherwise they would not continue to be waterproof to their rated depths.

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Nisbeth
I've had a Tissot PRS-200 for the past 3 years and I'm very happy with it. It feels solidly build (heavy!) and it's very accurate. After three years of use (and abuse), the bracelet looks a bit worn, but the sapphire glass is intact and doesn't have a single scratch on it. I was actually considering a TAG-Heuer 2000-series model before I bought it but that was twice the price of the Tissot and it didn't feel or look that much nicer. Interestingly, I have seen several official Swatch-gruop sites that clear states that Tissot is their "value for money" brand. If I needed another watch I know where I would look first.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

That is a nice watch.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the one with the all white dial and silver case and band.

t17_1_486_33.jpg

I was lucky.
My Tag was a gift.
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
That is a nice watch.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the one with the all white dial and silver case and band.

t17_1_486_33.jpg

I was lucky.
My Tag was a gift.
cool.gif

If only that were an automatic.
mad.gif
Thats a great looking watch.

Mar 5, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
If only that were an automatic.
mad.gif
Thats a great looking watch.

Quartz is more accurate.
wink.gif

But I know what you mean about an auto.
Its classic.

Mar 5, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 31
Haha.
biggrin.gif

I just cannot see myself buying another quartz now, but that Tissot is tempting. I have 4 already so I wanna try something different. I'll be happy so long as the watch isn't loosing around 20-40 secs a day.
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 31
I have 2 watches that I wear regularly. The first is a Sector chronograph my wife got for me in Switzerland almost 15 years ago. The second is from Luminox. THey both keep great time and the Luminox has the best no hands night viewing I have ever seen.

LUMI-LM3204.jpg

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman

I was lucky.
My Tag was a gift.
cool.gif

So is my Tag
cool.gif

Looks kewl and keeps perfect time. Only lost 2s to the atomic clock in 3 years.

Mar 6, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I have 2 watches that I wear regularly. The first is a Sector chronograph my wife got for me in Switzerland almost 15 years ago. The second is from Luminox. THey both keep great time and the Luminox has the best no hands night viewing I have ever seen.

I love the illumination on the Luminox watches. I got one a few years ago as a gift. Here is the pic:
steelnavy_s3106_large.jpg

Mar 7, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #29 of 31
Well I went looking around at some stores yesterday and I found these two watches.

6232211m.jpg
T41142371.jpg

The Tissot might be a little two dressy for everyday wear and has a leather strap which I wasn't looking for, but I still like the look quite a bit. And it has a see-through caseback. Im still going to take a look at a few more stores for more choices before I make a decision though.

Mar 10, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #30 of 31
slindeman, I have an Omega Seamaster GMT. Its a great looking watch and you can track 3 time zones on it. (For those that wonder why I need to know 3 time zones, I'm working in Asia, my parents are in California, and my girlfriend is in Paris.) I picked it up in Hong Kong when it first came out for just over USD1000. so not that great a price difference if you're comparing high end Tag, Sector, or Tissot.

Hiker, the omega seamasters are great watches. Prices are much cheaper in Hong Kong, and I think there are HK dealers that will do mail order business with US customers (although they shouldn't). The automatics are classics but the quartz ones always seem a little small to me.

My GMT has dove to 32 meter, been through countless climbing pitches, bushed wacked, dropped, throughly beaten up, and I still wear it with suit and tie to work. A little metal polish took out most of the scratches in the band. No scratches on the crystal. Any of the Omega seamasters will survive most beatings....although you'll have to get it adjusted regularly if you use it hard. Mine was off -15 seconds/day after I dropped it about 4 meters onto hard packed dirt. Its been running fine after I sent it in for its 5 year service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back