Any Warren Zevon fans here? FYI
Aug 24, 2003 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spaceman

Headphoneus Supremus
I love this guy. Sadly, he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer last August. My wife and I listened to him all the time before we got married, and still do. He gave us a gift...a lot of happy memories...memories that will always be with us. Warren's new CD will be released on 8/26, The Wind , and I am so glad that he was able to finish it. I wish him well, and think of him and his family often.

Link #1

Link #2

Aug 24, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Hey-- tonight on VH1 there is a special "making of Wind" show (check local listings). I couldn't believe it, they're showing it un-interrupted with no commercials! It looks to be very moving. It shows Springsteen, Petty, et al. hanging out recording their back-up vocals for the album.

For those who don't know, Zevon is a unique voice in music, a great salty singer-songwriter, sort of a gonzo songwriter, really, kind of like what if Hunter S. Thompson was a singer. He lived hard but is very ill now. I highly reco his recent Genius best of and especially Life'll Kill Ya, a recent album, one of his best, if you like singer-songwriters.

I'll be watching this show!

Mark

Aug 24, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 11
I saw the promo for the VH1 special and I felt very sad. I have always been a fan of Warren Zevon's music, have a number of his early LPs and later CDs and saw him once in concert...was going to see him another time but the show was cancelled.

I so identify with his personal life struggles and this should be a very special LP and I am looking forward to the VH1 special.

A-hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Werewolves of London!

John

Aug 24, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 11
The show is on at 10:00 EST VH1.

Aug 24, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 11
He's terrific.
frown.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 11
For anyone wanting more information more about Warren Zevon's last album, career & demise, you will find that August 17th Los Angeles Times has a article on Warren in the Calendar section, page 42.

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 11
A thumb's up to Zevon for recording "Knocking on Heaven's Door" on what will certainly be his final album. Its too bad those damn cigarettes will do him in too early in life.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 11
I have loved Warren Zevon's work for as long as I can remember and I have almost everything he has ever recorded. It was therefore extremely sad news when I heard of Warren's diagnosis. He is a brilliant, much underrated/appreciated artist. In a recent article in the L.A. Times, he sounded brave and darkly funny in the face of his eminent demise. At one point he said that the only benefit he gained from the chemo was the Steve McQueen haircut! Typical Warren. I will always remember WZ as the Raymond Chandler of popular music. Who else but Warren could pen the lyric, "Sweet Home Alabama, play that dead bands song"! Or "Send lawyers, guns and money, the **** has hit the fan".

Warren is an artist that everyone on this site owes it to themselves to check out.

Thanks, Warren for the lifetime of incredible, funny, brilliant, sad, ironic music. Ahhhhoooooooooo, indeed.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Just got the CD yesterday. Really gorgeous. Of course I am really digging "Disorder in the House" with Warren and Bruce.

John

Hey, I picked it up yesterday, too. Have not had a chance to listen yet, will later on tonight. Its Zevon, it has to be great. I wish him peace and comfort, and thank him for his gifts to all of us fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back