Any views yet on the Denon DVD-3910?
Sep 8, 2004 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gus B

Head-Fier
I'm still looking for a quality source for CD listening with a Corda HA-1 & Senn HD-600's that will also do a good job with DVD video. The specs on the 3910 look promising & I see it now posted for sale. Has anyone heard it & have any views?

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 17
Check the DVD player section on avsforum.com. Threads have begun on this player.

If you can live without SACD, the Arcam DV79 does video very well and audio extremely well. My only complaint is that we need more DVD-A titles!

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks very much for the reply. The AVS forum has lots of info. Do you think the Arcam is worth the extra $1700? I really wont miss the SACD. But it seems that the audio on the 3910 is getting pretty good initial reviews.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 17
It's tough to beat Redbook performance on Arcam DVD players: audio fidelity is their strong suit. I have both Arcam CD33 (top-of-the-line CD player) and the DV79, both routed to my newly-arrived maxed MPX3 with pre-amp switching. My headphones are HD650s. I can say that I have zero complaints about this setup.

One note on the Arcam: the DV79 has an HDMI/DVI digital video connection. If you have a digital display that can take advantage of HDMI, the Arcam will give you more value. Mine is connected to a Panasonic plasma via HDMI, and the picture is stunning.

Also check Audiogon.com for used Arcam players.

I used to own the Denon 2900 but swapped for the Arcam for improved audio...

Check audiophilesystems.com (Arcam's US distributor) for more information.

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 17
Making a decision on the Denon 3910 should be pretty easy. Crutchfield currently has them in stock (both black and silver) and is shipping right now. You can order one and try it in your own system for 30 days. If you don't like it you can return the player for a full refund, no questions asked, and they even pay return shipping. Drawback? Crutchfield charges full MSRP, and if you like the player you won't want to send it back. Sounds like the perfect source component for Head-Fi!
lambda.gif

Seriously, I've got one arriving tomorrow and will be willing to submit a short review after I've lived with it for a week or so. I currently own a Jolida JD-100A and have previously owned the Denon 5900, 3800, 2900, and Pioneer DV-59AVi, so maybe my opinion will count for something.
biggrin.gif
Word has it that the 3910 is basically a scaled-down 5900 (no separate power supplies, etc.) with some improvements on the video side. We'll see come tomorrow...

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks all for the input, & dpippel, I'd love to hear your review. I'm not sure, however, I can wait (credit card is in my hand, but I know I really should wait). I'm weak!!!

Sep 10, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 17
I hear ya Gus.

Must. Stay. In. Control!

I'll see if I can post my initial impressions of the 3910 tonight. It should be delivered sometime around 2:00PM EDT and I'll be setting it up and starting my evaluation immediately.

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 17
OK folks, I've only had a few hours to spend with the Denon DVD-3910 but here are my initial impressions:

* 480p Component Video: In a word, awesome! Best looking component output I've ever seen in mt HT.

* 1080i DVI Video: Awesome as well. A bit smoother than component with better shadow detail. The component input on my display is ISF calibrated, the DVI is not.

* Redbook CD: Very detailed with big, 3D soundstage. Not as weighty or authoritative as my Jolida JD-100A, and more recessed mids. Jolida has better bass.

* SACD: Sounds *wonderful*! Detailed, deep and wide.

I haven't done any DVD Audio listening yet and have spent most of my time doing video evaluation. Compared to my old Denon DVD-5900 and my current Zenith DVB318, I have to give the nod to the 3910. For DVD video I don't see how you could beat this unit, at least until HD-DVD hits the market. For audio, well, I haven't had enough time to really form a final conclusion. Initially, and from memory since I no longer own it, I think the 5900 was a better machine on the audio side, particularly on Redbook CD. The 3910 is certianly no slouch though. I like the audio qualities of this player better than the Pioneer DV-59AVi that I just returned. Remember that these are initial impressions and the player has less than 6 hours on it right now.

Associated equipment:

* Hitachi 57SWX20B HDTV RPTV (ISF calibrated)
* Aragon Soundstage preamp/processor
* Sherbourn 5/1500A 200 watt x 5 channel amp
* Onix Rocket RS750 mains
* Onix Rocket RSC200 center channel
* Onix Rocket RS350 rear surrounds
* SVS 25-31 PCi subwoofer
* Headsave Home-Vibe headphone amp
* Beyerdynamic DT-531 cans

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks very much for those observations. If you get any additional thoughts on the 3910 for Redbook CD, I'd love to hear it. It looks like you have some reservations there. I would be using the 3910 as my primary headphone source & all my cd's are Redbook.

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 17
An update on my evaluation of the 3910: For those of you who are considering this unit for VIDEO as well as audio reproduction, please check out the ongoing discussions at AVS Forum. There are some problems with the players Faroudja deinterlacing that may be a dealbreaker for some. You can find specifics in THIS THREAD at AVS. It's not good.

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 17
Even worse, mine arrived last wednesday & was completely defective--wouldn't play CD's at all & DVD video for only 5 secs before freezing. I sent it back for a replacement, for one more try.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 17
My replacement 3910 came in today & I must say that thus far, I'm very impressed. Audio is a big improvement over my Sony DAV-450. I actually think I may be content with my setup (HD-600's, Corda HA-1, 3910). Thanks for all the help.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back