Any USB 2.0 DACs in development or to be released
Aug 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

auee

100+ Head-Fier
I am not as knowledgeable about computers as many here so some of what I believe to be true may be false. It is my understanding that USB 2.0 is the type of port installed on modern computers, but Windows does not support it for audio and Apple OSX does. I also believe that USB 2.0 will support high resolution audio output to at least to 24/192.

Therefore, those of us with Macs can get high resolution audio output via USB if DACs that have this interface become available. If Windows 7 will support hi res audio from USB 2.0 that would be great to stimulate development. So are any such DACs being developed or planned for release in the near future?

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 4
I am quite sure there are DACs with USB 2.0 support for both MS Windows and Mac OS X out there.
Example the E-MU 0202
Quote:

E-MU's new 0202 USB 2.0 Audio Interface is the ultimate portable USB audio interface for PC, offering pristine 24-bit/192kHz recording and playback

Minimum System Requirements:
* Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP 2 or greater) or Windows XP x64
* Apple Macintosh OS X (10.4.3 or greater)

That said, I am quite sure most DACs use USB 1.0. So it would be nice to see more of them turning to 2.0...

Info about my RWA Isabellina (copied from System Profiler):
Quote:

USB Audio DAC:
Product ID:0x2707
Vendor ID:0x08bb (Texas Instruments Japan)
Version:1.00
Speed:Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer:Burr-Brown from TI
Location ID:0x1a200000
Current Available (mA):500
Current Required (mA):20

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not as knowledgeable about computers as many here so some of what I believe to be true may be false. It is my understanding that USB 2.0 is the type of port installed on modern computers, but Windows does not support it for audio and Apple OSX does. I also believe that USB 2.0 will support high resolution audio output to at least to 24/192.

Therefore, those of us with Macs can get high resolution audio output via USB if DACs that have this interface become available. If Windows 7 will support hi res audio from USB 2.0 that would be great to stimulate development. So are any such DACs being developed or planned for release in the near future?

There are lots of USB soundcards available online. Most of those do 24/96. If you get something less portable then you can get DAC's that do 24/192. Example being a LavryBlack DA11.

You are mistaken that only Apple can support this...very mistaken. High res output is best done via optical (Coaxial > toslink) and not USB, so if you are using USB there is a step up from that, which your Mac Book already supports.

If you don't know, just google it.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 4
I tried optical and found the sound crappy to say the least. That is why I am curious about a USB DAC that will accept 24/192. The Lavry will not do so via USB (and I confirmed this from its manual); it is limited to 24/96 via the USB as is the Benchmark, the Bel Canto USB link, and the other USB DACs that work with Apple OSX. I am not interested in a portable unit or a sound card but rather a separate DAC for home use with my Mac Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back