Any universal MMCX audio cables that go to Lightning connector?
Sep 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kwerbias

New Head-Fier
Just picked up an iPhone 7 and I'm looking for an audio cable replacement for my Shure SE535's. Would like something with an MMCX that goes directly to lightning port, with in-line volume controls and mic. 

Anyone find anything like this yet? I know it's just been a week but thought to ask here before anywhere else.

Thank you!

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Anything like that won't do the se535 justice more than likely. The iPhone Lightning port is digital output only so any cable has to have a built in dac so you would probably be better off waiting for a company like shure or sennheiser to make a Lightning to 3.5mm with a decent dac.

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Anything like that won't do the se535 justice more than likely. The iPhone Lightning port is digital output only so any cable has to have a built in dac so you would probably be better off waiting for a company like shure or sennheiser to make a Lightning to 3.5mm with a decent dac.

the adapter apple includes has a tiny dac in it already. so i know people can fit a dac simply in the lightning connector tip. this article showed the tear down and discovery of the dac inside. i'm excited to see what third parties do with this, i don't mind using a direct lightning connector with my IEMs as it's a nice secure fit to the phone usually.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/20/teardown-finds-dac-chips-in-apples-lightning-earpods-lightning-to-35mm-adapter-for-iphone-7

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 7
the adapter apple includes has a tiny dac in it already. so i know people can fit a dac simply in the lightning connector tip. this article showed the tear down and discovery of the dac inside. i'm excited to see what third parties do with this, i don't mind using a direct lightning connector with my IEMs as it's a nice secure fit to the phone usually.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/20/teardown-finds-dac-chips-in-apples-lightning-earpods-lightning-to-35mm-adapter-for-iphone-7
I saw the article a few days ago. Definitely interesting, but other companies have to go through Apple before they make anything with the Lightning adapter, and I imagine the first things that will be made are Lightning to 3.5 in and Lightning to 3.5mm male for full size headphones. If a company like shure goes through the licensing process then the Lightning to mmcx may be produced pretty quickly, but if no big audio companies do it it could be a while.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 7
Shure just announced these at CES for USD100 - available Spring 2017

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones/earphone-headphone-cables/rmce-ltg

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 7
yeah, that's just what i'd been looking for. I ordered their MMCX iOS remote/mic cable upgrade (the new model) and it works a treat too for what I was going for. I just need to keep the small Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter on the end of the cable for now. Inline remote/ mic work great though! The wireform for the ear is more flexible than the original stock cables for the SE 535 as well, which is another plus! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back