Any Ultrasone alternative to Audio Technica ATH-M50s?
May 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elitiste

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I posted a thread two weeks ago asking abut alternatives to Audio Technica ATH-M50 studio monitor headphones that I was thinking about buying. I am looking to get another over-the-head headphone to complement my K702. It’s been suggested that I consider Ultrasone. (My post in the Ultrasone section is not getting answered so I thought I'd try my luck here.) I unfortunately know very little about its products aside from it’s strong reputation in professional gears.

My orginal thread is posted here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/abo...d-look-421064/

My requirements are:
Quote:

•Neutrality, like the K701/702, because I’ll be listening to a wide variety of music
•Portable, smaller and lighter than the K702, most likely collapsible like the ATH-M50
•Easy to drive, does not DEMAND an amp; I would be using it with a portable device like my Sony Ericsson cell phone; I also intend to buy a better PAD soon
•Noise isolation, I will be using it on the street, in an airplane, it will be a closed-back phone for sure
•Decent aesthetics to wear it out on the street or on a bus. This is, of course, highly subjective. That being said, I would say that the K702 is, IMO, not an attractive headphone for outdoors

Reading the various posts left me just as confused. Ultrasone seems to be associated with a "bass-heavy" sound signature and it's PRO and HFI lines each offer many products. Is it fair to say that the Ultrasone Pro line is more similar to the AKG style studio sound and that its HFI line are for home theater and audiophile use?

To be honest, I am a bit concerned about the prices of the Ultrasones however. I understand it’s a “premium” brand in the otherwise no-frills professional world. In comparison, the ATH-M50s can be found on eBay for about USD100. But nonetheless I think I should explore the Ultrasone lineup before I make up my mind. Please let me know if you have any suggestion that would suit my needs. Thanks.

May 5, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 8
No doubt you've researched a bit, but if you had to read one thread, I would check out the 'There' something about Ultrasone'. It's been going on for at least a year or more, and I think there's more recent posts in there. Reason I mention that is the the most recent threads recommend 780's and pro 900's since they are the most recent. That thread should have more impressions of older ones. They might be a bit out of the price range you specified ~$100. I've only tried the Pro 750 myself, and it was a great headphone, great bass although the rest of the sound signature didn't appeal to me. From what I read, I would check out maybe the DJ1, Proline 650 and HFI 700 -- should be able to find those in that price range. Northern sound and light used to be a good place to acquire them, with good pricing if you requested an email quote; not sure how they are now.

Edit: Link to thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/the...rasone-204879/

May 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks brn80. I found the thread about Ultrasone -- 375 pages and counting... incredible. People here do care about their headphones, don't they?
k701smile.gif

I'm willing to pay a bit more than the 100 USD. I mentioned that figure only because that's what the ATH-M50s cost. They are not my price limit.

May 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 8
That we do
tongue.gif
I started off with a Sennheiser PX100 to get a quality headphone because my neighbor banged on my door to complain about my subwoofer being too loud. 2 years and 'a lot of headphones tried' later, still here.
Yep ! One of the longest running threads, I think some of the people with a lot of posts in that thread aren't so active anymore, but it's a great read nonetheless. I guess $100 isn't your hard limit, but given their favorable reviews at that price-point for the M50 I guess that would be your to-beat price point for an alternative headphone. But enough from me, hopefully some Ultrasone owners can chime in.

May 6, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks, Acix. I was counting on your to chime in because you appear to be quite an expert on Ultrasones -- I saw your posts on various threads. (The GM is an otherwise very good candidate but the looks put me off a bit, I'd have to confess.) I'll spend a bit more time researching the Ultrasones. For one, they are beautiful phones. I like the looks of the Pro 900 a lot.

May 6, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 8
The GM looks way much better in real life
smile.gif
and yes, the 900 are a beautiful phones as well the 2200. Ultrasones are very clear and transparent in the sound presentation, the bass can be a little bit aggressive on the 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back