Any Type/Brand of LCD Monitor I Should Avoid?
Jul 27, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 37
I'll probably get it next week or in 2 weeks. I may not need to sell my headphones afterall if I buy this one instead of 20" one.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I'll probably get it next week or in 2 weeks. I may not need to sell my headphones afterall if I buy this one instead of 20" one.
tongue.gif

Sell headphones? I do not know of such a thing.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I don't trust any of the in store demos I've seen. Those lcds are very poorly maintained and set up, and they don't swap out faulty ones, even when it's obvious that the lcd has critically failed. Also, the brighter lcds will always get the most attention, but like vagarach mentioned offhand, they'll burn your eyes out on office applications after 20 or 30 minutes. Realistically, they need to be turned down to a useable level, and that's something you can't really judge well at a store. Take what you see at a store with a grain of salt. You also don't get to test games vs. videos at the store. Most likely you're looking at a fish screensaver or what not. Don't forget to check the lcd settings on each monitor when you see it at the store, as well, in case someone like me fiddled with it.

I'd say this certainly can be true. In my case, the store I was in had a DVD playing on them (Spiderman), so I was able to be pretty critical of how they presented different aspects of the picture. I was also able to adjust the monitors to neutral color, and equal brightness/contrast.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #34 of 37
This is funny, you know what I've been using to test the monitor (due to limited options and service)?

The ones that I could use were those sample pictures from microsoft under "my pictures" folder. eg: the winter forest, the water lilies, sunset, etc.

And they are grainy too, but better than seeing a blank desktop wallpaper with start icon in the bottom.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #35 of 37
I don't follow this nonsense about brand X being poor in Y. There are not that many panel types out on the market, so eventually it comes down to how well the manufacturer(s) tweak the end product. I'd suggest finding reviews in which a proper color calibration/measuring tool is used - tom's hardware being one at least.

Here's a decent listing.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #36 of 37
Here's some quick advice:

If you want a 20", but can't afford the premium price, buy a dell 2007fpw, I bought a 2005fpw last July and I have been loving it ever since. One of the greatest purchases I've ever made. I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual/tri monitor setup in the future or a 24" or 30" dell monitor in the future, but I think I need a new gpu with dual dvi.

Here's a link to the beautiful dell which shares the same panel as the apple from what I remember:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-4688

Now if you wait, you can catch it for around 300 USD most likely.

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 37
Have a look at the vp series from Viewsonic. I got a vp730 quite cheaply from an internet vendor and it arrived promptly in Perth.
http://www.gogogadget.com.au/
It has a nice thin bezel and appears to be very clear with excellent optimizing software included. Great picture. Not as fast as some of the other Viewsonics at 8ms (if you want a faster version, go for the vp720 (4ms), which deletes the optimizing software and has a different stand).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back