Any tried laser cutting for panels/enclosures?
Mar 15, 2008 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mojo

100+ Head-Fier
Looking at the high prices of custom machined front panels, I was looking for an alternative and noticed laser cutting is quite cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Laser cutting of plexiglass or other plastics is very economical, and most places accept output from free CAD/vector drawing programs. Thickness can go up to 1.5cm. Some places can cut wood and thin metal tool. Wood in particular sounds like an interesting idea.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this? Searching didn't turn up anything but it seems like a good idea in theory
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the high prices of custom machined front panels, I was looking for an alternative and noticed laser cutting is quite cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Laser cutting of plexiglass or other plastics is very economical, and most places accept output from free CAD/vector drawing programs. Thickness can go up to 1.5cm. Some places can cut wood and thin metal tool. Wood in particular sounds like an interesting idea.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this? Searching didn't turn up anything but it seems like a good idea in theory
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not panels but I have done other things in plexi with a laser. I do think it would be cheaper the using FPE. Reason being is there are no tool changes. Just get charged for how long it takes the laser to do it's thing. I have also seem laser cut wood. Leaves a bit of a burnt edge.

I am seriously considering getting my own CNC set up when I get home so I can just do my own panels.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd love a CNC, but just can't justify the cost with the amount of stuff I produce. Half a dozen PCBs here, the odd panel there.

I think I'm going to try it and see what the results are like. I have been looking for examples of laser cut wood but am only able to find balsa wood stuff. Apparently it's no problem to do maple, cherry, walnut etc. The balsa stuff at least does not look burnt - perhaps it's been sanded a bit afterwards? Could always paint or stain it anyway.

There seem to be lots of options for materials, and for panel markings. A thin top layer with holes for the markings and a different colour material underneath should look okay. For wood, I think it might be nice to do it like a wood block print - i.e. put a layer of paint on the raised parts but not touch the indents.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 8
This is what I use. Tabletop 3 axis milling machine. Works very well. I use it for my enclosures.
tongue.gif

2nu7j3s.jpg

s6ujpf.jpg

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 8
do rates for laser and hydro cutting vary from area to area?

i am looking to have a plinth cut for a TT, and want to see how far over i should expect to bend....

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 8
I'd think they vary per jobshop, some are extremely swamped with huge orders, others are small and not as busy. I've never ordered anything, I just build them (waterjets) for a living.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cronic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I use. Tabletop 3 axis milling machine. Works very well. I use it for my enclosures.
tongue.gif

s6ujpf.jpg

if you use a torch and heat up all of your cut edges, they will become clear again and really look nice. Maybe try on a piece of scrap and see for yourself

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks, I have found that sanding and polishing gives more consistent results. The top which is pictured has not had any procedure applied yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back