Any trick to avoid ER4-p's microphonics ?
Aug 15, 2005 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

XP_98

500+ Head-Fier
If you have the Etymotics ER4-p headphones, and are like me annoyed by the "microphonics" produced by the cable, and have found some trick to avoid it... could you please tell it ? Or even show it ?

Thank you in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Attaching the shirt clip high up works reasonably well for me - e.g. to the neck of a t-shirt. Or running the cable under my shirt, though this can be a bit of a hassle.

You can wrap the cables around your ears, which works well but looks kinda dumb (they need to go behind and over your ears, hanging down in front of them).

I think you ultimately just have to learn to live with it. I found it intensely annoying at first, but hardly notice it now.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 14
Try some electrical tape, double about 1/2 inch back on itself, lay the wires in the non-sticky section, and roll into a tube to snugly fit the two wires, and use that as an adjustable slider to bring the wires to rest just under your chin, or against your neck (looks kinda funny though) as you find the need.

Regards,
Mark

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Yes, there is a trick. Loop the cable behind your ears, up to the top, and out the front. This will make a short cable even shorter, but significantly reduces microphonics.

Also, if you have the old non-braided cable, you can get Etymotic to install the quieter braided cable for $50.

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Thank you for all these answers.
mverscho, could you show me a picture ?

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Put the cords over your ears. It doesn't look that bad, and anyway, who cares. You get to enjoy the music while others look.

I started doing this a year ago and had forgotten that Etys had any microphonics at all. It is something I never think about until somebody writes a thread on it.

cheers,
dshea

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 14
i second the y chord mod + decent shirt clip to take up slack. take the whole thing down the back of a shirt to finish. works for me, with every iem i have tried.
hope this helps.

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 14
It's a problem with my 4S - several years old.

It is no problem at all with my recently purchased 4P - newer cable.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

mverscho, could you show me a picture ?

Sorry, my english isn't that good. I red your answer again this morning, and of course the "tape tip" doesn't need a picture !...

Thank you all for your answers, I'll try some of your tips. I already used to loop the cable behind my ears, but it often slips back...

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
It's a problem with my 4S - several years old.

It is no problem at all with my recently purchased 4P - newer cable.

I keep forgetting the 4P and 4S cables are different. Mine is a 4P with the S adapter.

dshea

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 14
I have the new braided cable, and still there are microphonics...

Aug 17, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 14
I loop the cable up and over my ear so the cable hangs down the back and I don't notice any difference compared to looping the cable around front. Doesn't look strange to me. Somehow I manage the cable so that its close to my head and does stick out much so from straight on you can't really tell.

-Slep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back