Any Travel Hassles with Portable Rigs?
Mar 3, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
Hi...

I'm about to take a series of trips via air, and I was wondering about portable rigs and the TSA.

From looking at many of the photos here...enviously...I can't help but think that a portable headphone amp, with a little red LED and a volume pot and a tiny crossfeed filter switch, attached to a portable source, coupled with a thick, HQ mini-to-mini...and especially with an outboard power source with its own LED...all wrapped in zip ties...

...looks like a bomb.

Has anyone had any trouble? Or am I watching too many Bond movies?

I have no intention of losing my cherished Corda 3Move to some 'confiscated' bin.

Thanks. And please take off your shoes.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 15
My Tomahawk and 3g nano is so small that it's never a problem.

The basic rules are these:

No DIY amps. Several people have had horror stories about the TSA questioning them about their homamade amps, especially any CMOY variant.

Keep it simple. Use a plain black, short LOD. Long, braided wires attract attention.

If you still feel uncomfortable, forget using the amp on the plane and just go with player/phones. You probably won't notice the difference anyway.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 15
Punnisher...thank you. Good info.

Jonathanjong...same deal. Thanks.

BUT...it's so lame to search the forums for this info, find nothing! And then submit a thread...to be told 'This has been posted about several times.'

So what?

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 15
chances of having issues is minimal my dad has traveled many times with his itouch tomahawk and 530's and not been questioned once the key is to keep your crud separate in your bag when going through security! As in not having anything attached in the rig just keep all the parts separate and it won't flag nearly as much attention

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 15
HAHA funny b/c I was thinking about the same thing as the OP. I agree. There are so many threads that if you don't type in the exact specific words, you would never know that it's a repost or whatever. But then again, creating another thread would just add to the problem. =/

Do you have to take out your amp, etc at the security gate like you do with your laptop?

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chances of having issues is minimal my dad has traveled many times with his itouch tomahawk and 530's and not been questioned once the key is to keep your crud separate in your bag when going through security! As in not having anything attached in the rig just keep all the parts separate and it won't flag nearly as much attention

This is what I do and I have never had a problem (knock on wood). Keeping things together is what makes it look suspicious.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BUT...it's so lame to search the forums for this info, find nothing! And then submit a thread...to be told 'This has been posted about several times.'

So what?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/pro...ng-amp-156351/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/c...curity-383429/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ai...curity-383517/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/tr...-up-amp-15531/

There are probably other threads you can find also, if you search for things like "security," or "traveling," or "airport" in the title.

P.S. You really have an attitude about people who simply point out that something has been asked many times before, don't you?
rolleyes.gif
Sometimes people are trying to be helpful and save forum space from being filled up with redundant information.

P.P.S. I've never had any problem with airport security and my portable amp, etc.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been posted about several times. Very few people have had trouble. I've never had trouble, and I've flown with my 2Move a few times, both domestic and international.

Ditto: never a problem with domestic or international with iMod, SuperMacro IV, SuperMicro and P51 Mustang.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 15
In the hundred or so domestic/int'l trips I've taken in the last few years, I have only had my portable rig questioned ONCE. It was a TSA agent who asked a local PD officer to check out the system. I just played some tunes through the DAP/Amp/IEMs for the cop, though, he held up my TF 10 Pros up to his ears, and I was on my way.

The advice about not bringing a DIY amp through security is a good one, though. Seemingly random hand-soldered circuitry in a mint tin could be construed as potentially dangerous...

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 15
If the rig looks like home-made then it's gonna attrack attention, but if looks like any store-shelf electronic gadget then it should be fine. Labelling does wonder. "Headphone Amplifier" tells the TSA guy "relax." U find a brand label somewhere, Sony whatever, put it on, another "brain trick" to the low-paid TSA guy.

Search b4r asking always good etiquette. Use it.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 15
I have never carried it on the flight...only my headphones n the ipod.

maybe this time i ll carry it in the laptop bag..because its a USB DAC also (D2 Boa)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back