Any totally free FLAC converters?
Feb 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 14
I use X-Recode II. It converts tons of formats back and forth. All you have to do is wait a few seconds every time the program starts. Also, this is the completely wrong forum section for this lol. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 14
For converting too FLAC? Or for converting from FLAC to another format?

If you want to convert to FLAC, then it's always free, because FLAC is an open source codec for anybody to freely use.

If you want to convert from FLAC to another format, then it depends on the format you want to convert it to.

Also "foobar2000" is completely free and will allow you to convert between formats (including FLAC), but you'll need to download the FLAC codec online.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 14
If you're ripping a CD to FLAC, use Exact Audio Copy

If you're converting a file like MP3 or something to FLAC, stop what you're doing because you aren't supposed to do that.

If you're converting a FLAC file to MP3 or something, my personal favorite is freeac. It's free, has tons of support, works with tons of encoders. Good stuff.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Are there any totally free flac converters.....All the supposed ones, you have to end up paying for

I use Foobar2000. It's a media player that supports WASAPI direct mode so a lot of audiophiles use it and conveniently you can right click any file and choose "convert". Provided you point it to a LAME library, which is also free, it will easily convert, retaining id3 info.

Alternatively Audacity is a free audio editing program that can read and write almost any format.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Are there any totally free flac converters.....All the supposed ones, you have to end up paying for

Max is completely free, unless you're looking for "free as in freedom" types, in that case I think this one here is what you're looking for
http://www.freac.org/index.php/en/downloads-mainmenu-33

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 14
I just use the converter in foobar. It rips from cd and converts flac to various mp3 if needed.

May 29, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #14 of 14
Hello!

Personally, I am using XLD for Mac. It's pretty annoying to me sometimes [this only applies to me]. Here's what, all my musics and stuff are saved in my Window PC and I uses Window PC to download FLAC albums [it's faster using PC to download], everytime, I need to save my FLAC in a pendrive then by using XLD to convert to ALAC and then transfer it to my Window. 

I used to use a converter in my Window for it... but it "crashes" everytime when I convert a FLAC album...

My question is, any FLAC to ALAC converter that works with Window and deos not crashes every single time.

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back