Any tips on learning bass?
Jun 14, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Learn to play a regular guitar first.

Although that would help, it isn't necessary at all, and the time would probably be better spent learning the bass. I find that many guitar players who feel it is easy to pick up the bass (myself included), just don't capture that groove or feel that actual bass players do. I know this is very vague, but there is just something that I can't pin down that most guitar players don't do when playing bass. I'm sure most of you would disagree.

Also, if you play the bass with your fingers, it just doesn't really translate over well, since most guitar players play with a plectrum, and even guitar finger picking doesn't translate too well. Just my opinion.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 32
I learned the most and made the most progress by simply figuring out what tuning my favorite bands were in, and playing along with the cd. Figuring out each riff by ear until I got it right and could play the whole song along with the music. Develops your ear, teaches you to play along with other instruments and also be in time, get experience with arrangements, etc... This is a lot easier to do with bass since there arent usually a lot of effects to mess with and matching tones with the CD isnt that important.

Basically you just have to practice a lot, force yourself to use all your fingers in your left hand in a logical way, practice stretching your fingers, develop speed in your right hand. Getting tab books helped a little too that way you can see the riffs in front of you. But dont just rely on books. Use your ears. I would also personally recommend always making up your own riffs/songs to supplement playing other people's music. Simply playing other people's music doesnt really mean anything. IMO the whole point of picking up an instrument is to promote creativity and originality. Most of all try and have fun with it.

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although that would help, it isn't necessary at all, and the time would probably be better spent learning the bass. I find that many guitar players who feel it is easy to pick up the bass (myself included), just don't capture that groove or feel that actual bass players do. I know this is very vague, but there is just something that I can't pin down that most guitar players don't do when playing bass. I'm sure most of you would disagree.

Also, if you play the bass with your fingers, it just doesn't really translate over well, since most guitar players play with a plectrum, and even guitar finger picking doesn't translate too well. Just my opinion.

Those are good points. There is definitely a big difference between bass and guitar playing once you get past basic rhythm parts, and guitarists don't always realise that.

However, I do think that learning guitar can give you a better feel for how the notes on the fretboard relate to each other, and it can also help you build calluses (a necessary part of bass or guitar playing) without jumping in the deep end. Also, it's kind of embarassing when you see a bass player pick up a guitar and not know what to do with it!

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #21 of 32
Go to a local music store and take two lessons. It might be an extra 50 bucks, but it's the smartest 50 bucks you'll ever spend. I've taught at least twenty people to play bass, and the sooner I get to them the better. When you just download videos and tabs you make mistakes that become habits and they're very hard to correct. Learn the basics the right way and you'll be able to play anything you want.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #23 of 32
alright, I just got back from a week long camping trip. While i was there I was just playing around with my bass and some guy came up with an acoustic guitar and helped me out for about an hour and a half. he showed me where all the notes were on the fretboard, and he showed me some 12 measure blues riff thing. I feel this has helped me greatly and I will seek out lessons as soon as my budget permits.

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #24 of 32
Excellent decision. Lots of beginner books are very helpful, as is the information you got at camp. The best advice I can give you is don't just learn to play by ear. You'll develop terrible habits and you won't have a good sense of the instrument. A (very) little instruction goes a long, long way.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I do think that learning guitar can give you a better feel for how the notes on the fretboard relate to each other, and it can also help you build calluses (a necessary part of bass or guitar playing) without jumping in the deep end. Also, it's kind of embarassing when you see a bass player pick up a guitar and not know what to do with it!

A bass player is a bass player and a guitar player is a guitar player. I don't think it makes any sense to learn one and then switch to the other. Calluses from playing bass is different than guitar (I play both). Also, you can learn the fret board fine on the bass. Why would learning it on the guitar be better? The B string and high E string don't apply to the bass. I really don't think playing guitar is a stepping stone to the bass. I think they are two different instruments. Learn the instrument that you want. No bass teacher would instruct you to play the guitar first.

I highly recommend bass guitar for dummies, but lessons are really the way to go.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Practice and Practice until your fingers starts to bleed.

And you can sell your soul to the devil on the crossroad.

wink.gif

well thats how i learned how to play guitar. I started guitar about 5 months ago and started electric 2 months ago. I can feel i have come a long way despite still being unhappy with the way i sound. i have put in a lot of work and spend a lot of of my free practicing.

I reckon the key to this is to practice as much as possible. and get a teacher for the love of god.... Just keep at it for a while and you will get it. You only get out what you put in to it.

i am saying this because i regret that i only fully got into guitar when i got an electric. well thats my 2c

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #28 of 32
Buy the Master of Puppets tablature book and learn a few songs off the album, especially Orion, which has tons of great bass lines. The album is in standard E tuning. That's how I started on guitar!

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #30 of 32
In order to speed up the rate of your learning, look at whatever yiou want to play and visualise playing it in your head first.

Go over and over it in your head in slow motion when you have a spare few minutes. Only practise the parts that you are unable to play and play through the whole piece on the weekend.

So many people learn pieces and associated mistakes and they actually 'learn' the mistake and can never get round the difficulty because they don't pay enough attention to the little bits they can't play.

Before any difficult concert or show that I do, I run it through in my head. Sometimes in slow motion, watching the techniques slowly. It also gets rid of playing badly because of nerves.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back