any tips for strengthening ankles and knees
Jan 21, 2005 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stet

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any tips for stronger ankles and knees? Most of what I find Googling seems to be aimed at rehabilitation. It's still stuff for strengthening, but I'm hoping to find more, whether PT or more rigorous exercises that work those areas.

I've never had a major injury on either part, but I have skateboarded and boxed and just plain got hurt, and sometimes worked right through it, but never in immense pain. Now I'm not so young anymore, and I'm getting back into things and really feeling weakness on my left side (goofy-footed skateboarder, so I push with my left, and right-handed boxer, so I always led with my left).

and thanks for all the good info on the running faster thread ...

Jan 22, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 12
I'd suggest doing the rehabilitation exercises. You can't go wrong with them and can increase duration, repetitions and/or weight used to increase your strength. Leg muscles have more slow-twitch fibers, so generally do more reps instead of more weight. The idea is twofold; stress the muscle, not the joint, and the leg muscles fatigue more slowly than your arms will. The end requirement is that you have to do a lot of leg exercises to tire the muscles to the point that they will grow larger to work better the next time.

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 12
My understanding is consistent with Carbonman's. For lateral instability of the knee, my physical therapist had me do lots of leg extensions. Others have told me that they were directed to perform calf raises for ankle rehab.

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 12
for ankles, the best thing i've found is running in sand. for knees, squats maybe? squats do everything.
cool.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 12
As well as strengthening the surrounding muscles, consider taking cod liver oil, or pills with omega III oils. I've heard they benefit joints incredibly.

Jan 22, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 12
I've been doing calf raises for the ankles, which is about the only thing I've found except for just rotating them a lot, ballet-style. For knees I've been trying "hindu squats," as well as heel slides and wall slides http://www.medformation.com/ac/crssm...rain.exercises.
All of those seem to be working my knee pretty well. I kinda forgot about leg extensions, but I don't have a gym membership now, so I'd have to get ankle weights. I found some stuff on cod liver oil that was interesting, as well as glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements, although I'd be more inclined to try to get fish oils from just plain food.

I guess I was hoping to find more rigorous exercises so I wouldn't have to budget more time for working out to do the PT/rehab type stuff. Typical, the "easy" way to avoid the long road ahead, and no way around it...

thanks for the responses. It's neat getting good info here on stuff so far afield from headphones.

Jan 22, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm an ex-ski-racer and have suffered an ankle injury that was severe enough that I was initally scheduled for reconstructive surgery. In short, I've been through this drill a lot:

To build ankles, calf raises are good, as are one-legged hops. The best thing IMHO is to do one-legged balancing and (once you're accustomed to it) one legged knee bends. When you can do that with your eyes closed, your ankles will be ready for anything.

For knees, leg extensions are the best insurance against injury.

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 12
There's lots of exercises that can help the muscles. Nutritional supplements can also help increase the viscosity of your joint fluid and help to repair cartilidge.

I'm in my 30s and work out pretty intensely with weights. I've got a million old sports injuries and if it weren't for a few key supplements I'd have a hard time continuing.

Omega 3 oils as mentioned earlier do help. Flax seed oil is one of the best sources. Chondroitin and Glucosamine also help--one does the viscosity trick and the other helps do repairs. Good 'ol fashioned gelatin also does wonders for repairs. There's also a few random vitamins and minerals that can be helpful too.

If you want the easiest way to fix 'em up grab som "Joint Care" by Beverly International and some Knox "Nutrajoint." Beverly products can be found at www.bodybuilding.com among other places and Nutrajoint is available in the vitamin isle of your local Wall Mart.

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I'm in my 30s and work out pretty intensely with weights. I've got a million old sports injuries and if it weren't for a few key supplements I'd have a hard time continuing.

Wait until you hit your 40's. It gets harder to recover and even to work through the old injuries. Not impossible, just tougher.
Recov-Re from Biomedica Laboratories is sometimes the only thing that gets me through the winter bouts of joint pain and tendonitis. I hate having to take supplements. I guess it's better than the alternatives.

Jan 23, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonman

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703

Wait until you hit your 40's. It gets harder to recover and even to work through the old injuries. Not impossible, just tougher.

crap. I've been reading more stuff like this about age and supplements. Glucosamine and Chondroitin are looking likely, even though I have a general aversion to taking supplements. I hope as you get older working out /doing stuff still stays just as fun, despite having to adjust for age. Otherwise I'll just take up mah jongg.

OT, I hope Terrell Owens is taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin by the bowlful. It could happen.

EDIT: pack some supplements in them bags, T.O.! HELLO SUPER BOWL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back