Any Tips For Making Tighter IEC Connection
Oct 2, 2004 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I couldn't find from a search if this has been asked before, but I notice that a lot of the aftermarket IEC connectors, including the Marinco and Hubbel really don't grip on the IEC connection on a lot of my components that tightly. Sometimes this is a problem if the cord is heavy or stiff, as it may tend to pull out a little over time. Is there any way to get a tighter IEC plug connection? When a plug falls out of a wall socket, you can always bend a prong or two slightly to get a firmer grip. Can anything like that be done with the IEC connector prongs on the component, or is this just stupid? Any other ideas?

Oct 3, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Some female IEC 320s are tighter than others (no pun intended). Furutech is a case in point.

If you're forced to live with the existing IEC on the power cord, you can wrap some tape around the female IEC so that the fit will be snug. However, the tape selected will have an impact on sonic quality. Personally, I prefer teflon tape (plummer's tape?) to electrical tape.

Oct 3, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ash2459
Some female IEC 320s are tighter than others (no pun intended).
If you're forced to live with the existing IEC on the power cord, you can wrap some tape around the female IEC so that the fit will be snug. However, the tape selected will have an impact on sonic quality. Personally, I prefer teflon tape (plummer's tape?) to electrical tape.

You're kidding, right? Which tape provides the wider soundstage?
280smile.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 9
Wait a minute, so you're saying that wrapping tape around the plug is going to influence the sound quality?

Around the mains plug, correct? And the tape is nowhere near the actual physical mains contacts?

But it effects sound quality?

Can someone explain this to me, or show some concrete 1-1 testing results? Cause I have to be a little skeptical at this point, I must say.

Oct 4, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 9
I don't understand it either, but I appreciate the suggestion about how to make the connection tighter. I hadn't thought of it. I will probably give it a try, but I don't think I'll worry about what kind of tape to use for sound quality. I can't see how it will affect the sound if it's not touching any contacts.

Oct 4, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Another way is to buy 3/4 inch diameter heatshrink then cut off a small 1/2 to 3/4 inch piece, place it around the end of the IEC then heatshrink it on.

Oct 4, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Maybe I should look into selling "audiophile grade 100% pure Teflon connecting strips." $30 for a 5 foot roll sound about right?

Oct 4, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
Another way is to buy 3/4 inch diameter heatshrink then cut off a small 1/2 to 3/4 inch piece, place it around the end of the IEC then heatshrink it on.

That's a neat idea. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back