Any thoughts re: CSW Tower II vs Athena AS-F2?
Mar 5, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 6
My only issue with Athena tower speakers is one of theory.They match 1" tweeters with 8" woofers which in theory may not fill in the midrange properly.I would feel better if they used (2) 6.5"woofers but in the end the sound is the only thing that matters.BTW the AS-B2 uses a 6.5" woofer with a 1" tweeter and is outstanding for the money.

Mar 8, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Athena AS-F2 Speakers are awesome!!!!!
They are very rich when it comes to instrumentals
and the range of frequency is also very wide, I highly recommend them.
As for the other one.... i haven't heard of
why dont u go to best buy and try the athena ^^

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Our podunk BB here doesn't carry the AS-F2s.

It turns out the clown I was thinking of buying the Tower IIs from wanted "new" price for a pair that had been dropped, were scratched, and one had a broken grill.

So now I'm down to either the AS-F2s for ~$400 or a pair of front-ported bookshelves (and I've got it narrowed down to, oh, 120 or so models
wink.gif
).

Thanks for the thoughts, both of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageX
Athena AS-F2 Speakers are awesome!!!!!
They are very rich when it comes to instrumentals
and the range of frequency is also very wide, I highly recommend them.
As for the other one.... i haven't heard of
why dont u go to best buy and try the athena ^^

Mar 8, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 6
If you could find some old Sound Dynamics towers, you may like them better.
2 5.5 in mid bass and a soft dome tweeter. It's a compact looking tower with front and rear ports. I found mine 2 yrs ago in a local hi fi store whose price was the same as audio advisors sale price. And I even bought the smaller bookshelf SD model RTS 3 in rosewood.
Either way The Athenas sound nice since I think SD changed to that name. I don't know if they are made in canada or overseas since the brand change.

Mar 17, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 6
I auditioned a pair of Athena towers powered by Outlaw amp and preamp.

I didn't like the Athena towers. They put out impressive bass (two 8inch woofers), but they lack the detail you find in higher end towers. The sound overall was a bit muddy and incoherent.

I felt the Athena bookshelfs paired with the Athena sub sounded cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back