Any thoughts on the AKG K240 (MKII) for mixing?
Apr 2, 2008 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
So before I start, I am mixing my newer music for headphone listening, so don't give me that "oh well, you should really be mixing with speakers" line.

I have heard that the now-discontinued AKG K240 are great headphones for mixing. can anyone here comment on that? what about the newer AKG K240 MKII?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 8
no one? im really looking for good mixing headphones (comfortable, open, as flat in response as possible...) can anyone help?

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 8
I can't give you a recommendation based on my own listening, but I did some casual reading on AKGs forum recently and the resident AKG guru recommended the K601 as a viable substitute for the K240DF.

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't know anything about the MKII. But the general concesus is that the older the better with the k240's. And they are all wonderful for mixing. I haven't heard a headphone with such flat frequency response except the HP2 by grado, which is even more neutral, but costs over 1000 now...

so go ahead with the k240, it is perfect, IMO. But think about at least getting the older "Monitor" version...

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't give you a recommendation based on my own listening, but I did some casual reading on AKGs forum recently and the resident AKG guru recommended the K601 as a viable substitute for the K240DF.

wow! that is surprising. they have a VERY different sound. the K601 has a wonderful sound of its own, but i would be hard pressed to call it neutral. Its frequency response probably looks like the rocky mountains....

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Here's a link to the thread.

EDIT: Direct links don't work, so to view the thread, navigate to the third page and find the thread "Can anyone suggest replacement for K240DF?"

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 8
thank you guys!

May 8, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 8
I did some mixes with my K240S, so yeah it's really possible to do it. Be careful when EQing presence though, as your mix might end up too bright and not bassy enough. The K240S doesn't allow you to hear really high-frequency effects and provides a bit too much low-bass so you need to compensate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back