Any syb 300$ IEM recommendations with big sub bass and exceptional width/depth?
Dec 22, 2021 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FlatBeat

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. So, I think I made a mistake. I bought a pair of Fiio FD5's on a whim and love them. I've never been a big fan of IEM's until these but the width of the soundstage sold me right away. Problem is now I'm wondering what else is out there.

I listen to lots of deep sub bass music. Space bass, uk dubstep, downtempo etc. So sub bass rumble and size is a priority. I'm looking for some serious head rockers. Ideally they wouldn't overpower the mids too much though. I'm a basshead but listen to other stuff too and appreciate clarity.

So, sub bass and exceptional width/depth under 300$ Maybe a bit more if it's worth it. The ikko OH10's come to mind but that's all I've come across that fits the bill. Any thoughts?

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 15
I've got two bass-loving IEMS: the Tri I3 and Sennheiser IE300.

Tri I3 is a 3-driver IEM, with a hefty but clear dynamic-driver bass, balanced-armature mids and a planar driver for treble -- very crisp but benefits from amp power. They're exactly what you are describing.

The included cable was defective, but I replaced it easily with a standard MMCX. I also needed to change the included tips to get the best fit, but that's not unusual for me.

However, they have been replaced by the Tri I3 Pro, which has been reviewed as similar but with minor reservations.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-i3-pro-in-ear-monitors-1planar-1dd-1ba.25356/reviews

If you can find the originals, jump on 'em. The I3 Pro sounds like it fits better without overly major changes.

The Sennheiser IE300 has major bass, sometimes so much I have to EQ it down a little, but also clarity up above. I can only get them to fit with their own silicones; look at the booklet to see how each eartip can fit in two positions along the stem. (Who reads the instruction booklet for an IEM?) The Sennheiser cable, which is nonstandard and hard to replace, is also way too noisy if you're moving around. But they do have the sound you're looking for.

Get them someplace with free returns so you can see if they float your boat.

You could also take a look at Crinacle's list--he describes sound signatures, backed up with measurements, and you could look for the ones that emphasize bass. Obviously don't take his ratings as the sole authority, but it could give you some possibilities for further research.

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 15
Hey everyone. So, I think I made a mistake. I bought a pair of Fiio FD5's on a whim and love them. I've never been a big fan of IEM's until these but the width of the soundstage sold me right away. Problem is now I'm wondering what else is out there.

I listen to lots of deep sub bass music. Space bass, uk dubstep, downtempo etc. So sub bass rumble and size is a priority. I'm looking for some serious head rockers. Ideally they wouldn't overpower the mids too much though. I'm a basshead but listen to other stuff too and appreciate clarity.

So, sub bass and exceptional width/depth under 300$ Maybe a bit more if it's worth it. The ikko OH10's come to mind but that's all I've come across that fits the bill. Any thoughts?

IKKO OH10 - V shaped, big subbass, quite good technically. I auditioned it but didn't buy it cause it was a bit heavy and big and caused discomfort with longer sessions. Best if you can audition a set first to try it out.

Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 - V shaped, big subbass when amped, quite good technically with good soundstage. Only issue is there might be some QC issues with this set, due to faulty MMCX connectors or a variant driver installed (this may cause the sound signature to be different). Best to buy from somewhere with good returns policy in case.

TFZ No. 3 - V shaped, massive jawrattling subbass and midbass. The upper mids can be a bit hot though. There is a cheaper version (same sound, same internals, just different shell) called the TFZ No. 3 19th edition, u can get that too, it is much cheaper but sounds the same. Soundstage is not the best though.

Tingker TK300 - V shaped, big bass, good quality bass. Not too bad technicalities. May be a bit uncomfortable though.

iBasso IT00 - U shaped, subbass predominant, warm and smooth, non fatiguing. It has driver flex though, but this can be mitigated to some extent.

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 15
The iBasso IT00 was a return for me. First cable defective, replaced cable, listened for a while. L-shaped signature -- GIANT bass that made every song sound like it was rolling along on big puffy tires. But I got driver flex (crackling sound when inserted) with silicone tips and flabbiness with foam tips. Also, there's a seam on that (straight) lower edge that was actively painful on my particular (curved) ears.

One I haven't heard is the 7Hz Timeless, which is getting praise here on Head-Fi for big bass plus clarity.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hertz-timeless.25394/reviews

Dec 23, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 15
ISN H50 could tick your boxes with large soundstage and great sub bass. Penon Serial and Globe has slightly less but also very good bass qualities. They will be a good compliment to FD5.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 15

Used Sony EX1000
Huge 16mm dynamic driver that delivers incredibly fast, textured and bottomless bass. Can be EQ‘d or modded to a very clean bass head IEM. I‘d rather EQ and take care of the peaky upper midrange.
Stage is VERY wide, but not very deep.
I have the UM 3DT too, that one is a bit more U shaped IMO, also good but you need to find the right tips for SQ and fit. Huge 6,3mm nozzles!
EQ‘ed EX1k is better IMO

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 15
Sony MH755, MH750, or MH1C. Completely unironically. Check the ebay seller ratings to make sure they're not bootlegs.
Ah, I forgot about those!

There are a LOT of fake Sony MH755 and MH750 (essentially same IEM, longer cord on the MH750). Don't get any of the ones from AliExpress.

People on Head-Fi have said this seller has the real ones. And yes, they're just $9.50 shipped to USA, and they might well have your style of bass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304069747002

They look like throwaways, and they have a thin Japanese-style cable that goes around the back of your head: short left side and long right side. It's not detachable (though there are modded ones on Ebay, multiples of the price, that are presumably genuine.) I enjoy mine a lot; I'm under no illusion that they would stand up under heavy use. So if you like 'em, get a backup pair from a reputable seller, or a modded pair.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 15
People on Head-Fi have said this seller has the real ones. And yes, they're just $9.50 shipped to USA, and they might well have your style of bass.
Oh nice, I just took a gamble on the Sony IEM lottery from this seller with an MH755 and an MH1C. Ebay seller "spassear" in the US sells authentic MH750s, which have a longer cable than the MH755 but even more sub-bass as well (too much IMO).

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Oh nice, I just took a gamble on the Sony IEM lottery from this seller with an MH755 and an MH1C. Ebay seller "spassear" in the US sells authentic MH750s, which have a longer cable than the MH755 but even more sub-bass as well (too much IMO).
I got my MH750 from spassear--they are real. But that seller's prices have gone up.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 15
Ikko OH10. FiiO FH3 and 7Hz Timeless both have really good subbass, but both of these lack in Soundstage.
Mhm, both of those were/are on my radar but the soundstage is really important. For most genres it's not a big deal but for the big electronic stuff it makes such a difference.

I'm quite keen on trying the OH10 but the weight is concerning, even if some say it's not a problem. I've also read a number of complaints about the finish chipping as well as issues with the cable connectors in the long term.

They also might be a bit bright. I think I'm starting to lean more towards a warmer sound in general.

Still, if I can find a used pair I'll give them a shot.

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #15 of 15
"Bright" usually enhances soundstage, because our ears/brain get a lot of location cues from upper frequencies. But some tunings do pump them up way too much. As always, it's a balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back