Any Swing/Lounge Fans ?
May 24, 2007 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

robert1325

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I love this genre.... After seeing the movie "Swingers" I got the soundtrack and since then I've been listening to a lot of this .

The Ultra-Lounge series are really good.

Robert

May 24, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 12
I've also enjoyed the Ultralounge Series.

Fast up-tempo swing? Off hand, I think that Mose Allison and 60s Mel Torme are dry, witty and swinging.

There was a good band about ten years ago called Donkey from Atlanta -- lounge and swing. This place seems to be connected with that scene. Link

May 24, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 12
checkout Big bad voodoo daddy
smily_headphones1.gif
and Royal Crown Revue ( mugzy's move

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm trying to get more into this stuff, I mostly have mainstream.

May 25, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Swing - Cherry Poppin Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot, Brian Setzer Orchestra - Dirty Boogie

Lounge - Esquivel - any of them, Combustible Edison - any of them, Tipsy - any of them and Frenchy - any of them

May 25, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 12
I have a love/hate relationship with the lounge/space age bachelor pad music genre. Even before Irwin Chisud began doing CD comps of this sort of thing, I was a huge fan of "Percussion", "Sweet Music" and "Easy Listening", the three genre categories that were shoved together under the "lounge" label. I'd scour flea markets looking for records and would try to learn everything I could about the musicians to see if I could root out more titles.

When the CDs started coming out, I was very happy. But that quickly faded, because the people choosing the titles on the CDs seem to have atrocious taste. They invariably pick just the goofy "ping pong stereo" track off a record and skip the meat of it. These albums were carefully paced like a movie. There were contrasts of mood and tempo to make listening to the album like taking a journey. The selection of tracks on the CDs make it sound like one big noisy mess.

If you really like this music, go for the vinyl. There are records by Les Baxter, Martin Denny, Al Caiola, Enoch Light, The Three Suns, Xavier Cugat, etc. etc. etc. that are a million times better than the CD comps. You should be able to find this stuff at junk stores and record swap meets for very little money. Join the exotica mailing list and get in on the record trading scene there.

That's the advice of a long time fan of this music.

See ya
Steve

May 25, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 12
I love swing music, but lounge is a little more questionable... my collection leans heavily towards classic swing, not the 60s lounge version.

However, if you like the lounge sound and you haven't heard them yet, might I suggest Supreme Beings of Leisure for a modern, electronic version? They're a modern electronica group that has a consistent sound that I can only describe as 60s lounge-inspired.

May 29, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really like this music, go for the vinyl. There are records by Les Baxter, Martin Denny, Al Caiola, Enoch Light, The Three Suns, Xavier Cugat, etc. etc. etc. that are a million times better than the CD comps. You should be able to find this stuff at junk stores and record swap meets for very little money. Join the exotica mailing list and get in on the record trading scene there.

From a quick look at Amazon, there are actually a number of albums by these artists currently available on CD.

I was always more into easy listening and funky soundtracks than lounge - I would recommend tracking down the songs Tropicando by 101 Strings (on a CD called 'Timeless Instrumentals'), and Omega Man Theme by Geoff Love Orchestra (on a CD called 'Star Wars & other space themes').
Samples! http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Othe...0417220&sr=1-4
Edit: Oh, and anything by Herb Alpert!

Nowadays when you say 'swing' I think 1920's-30s jazz, of which I have a nice little collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back