Any suggestions on how to get out of an awful mess
Oct 2, 2002 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zin_Ramu

100+ Head-Fier
Well just over a year ago, I made a stupid mistake. I bought a computer on ebay and ended up getting royaly screwed. After waiting over a month a half my computer finally arrived, but it never worked. After trying various attempts to get my money back, the company went bankrupt and I got left out in the cold. Although I was pissed, I must admit, I was a niave eBayer at the time and made some mistakes, that led to this unfortunate result.

Today after unpacking some stuff, I found the old box again, and decided to take it up to my apartment. Needless to say it still doesn't work
rolleyes.gif
Anyway, with some recent audio purchases (corda HA-1 + HD600), I'm looking for ways to get some funds to upgrade my source.

So I have a non working computer that I somehow want to sell. Although it doesn't work (it locks up on some PCI device listing with IRQs and such on boot-up), I figure this thing should could still be valueable to someone. I mean it does have an 1000 mHZ AMD processor, 512MB RAM, Geoforce 2 Video Card, 24x10x24 CDRW, and 80GB hard drive. But since I'm not computer "literate" I'm not sure if any parts are defective or there is just some configuration issues. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to do.

I guess one option is to sell it on eBay as a computer that doesn't work but may have some useful parts. I tried looking around for a place that buys used computers in Boston, but didn't get anyone willing to buy it. Anyway was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get out of this awful mess I made for myself.

Zin

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 13
It seems to me you still have the makings of a viable computer there, so it would be a waste ( and a great financial loss) to sell it as simply a broken computer.

It's practically impossible for someone to troubleshoot it for you over the net, but if you could find a reputable store to check it out for you, I doubt it would cost all that much, and pay off in the long run.

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 13
first, ask around on arstechnica.infopop.net

That's the place where I also help people out with their computers.

What OS are you running? what kind of motherboard does it have?

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 13
I wouldn't give up on the computer yet...as already mentioned there's no way to determine the cause of your problem without someone looking at the comp but it looks like you may just have an simple IRQ (Interrupt Request) conflict or some similar configuration situation on one or more of your PCI boards...it may only require a reassignment of an IRQ to an unoccupied IRQ...Similar kind of situation if two people were trying to talk on the phone simultaneously resulting in mass confusion...Get someone who knows computers to check out yours even if you have to pay him/her...Good luck
cool.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi Zin,

Sounds like a relatively simple and common problem with the setup of the computer - an IRQ conflict. A little bit of configuration (probably in the software or maybe some switches on the PCI boards) and it'll be working in no time.

Don't sell it as a broken PC - as you'll get peanuts for it -- and it is a very well spec'd machine.

Ask around - you probably have a neighbour or a friend or a local store who could fix it in a few minutes.

--Jatinder

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 13
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions and information. Its great to be a part of a forum that not only has such a great information on headphones, but a generally knowledgeable and friendly community.

Well, based on the opions that this might be a relatively simple issue, I'm going to give fixing it a shot. Although, I can see how its difficult to do this kind of thing over the internet, I'll try posting to the site andrzejpw suggested. I have time, so may as will give it a shot for a day or two.

If that doesn't work I'll look into getting fixed by professionals. I just hate to dump more money into this embarrasing event, but I see now how much more valuable it could be fixed.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Zin

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 13
'Professionals' are few and far inbetween. The chances of said 'professionals' screwing up your PC further are quite large.

Join the true geek of the geek at the forums on www.anandtech.com. Ask for advice and ye shall receive!

Just to put you off, you'll find me there too
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 13
it sounds like a reall cheap and shoddy motherboard. probably a dfi or something. since you don't know much about computers, i see two options in your future:

a) learn how to use one. read articles and forums and learn a lot about the old technology that you now own (tougher to do).

b) sell the parts on ebay separately "as is." i say this is the best way to go. 80gb hard drives usually go well, etc. etc.

Oct 3, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 13
I personally am a longtime member of the madonion forums, and i'd be glad to help ya. I'd be willing to take a look at it, but you'd have to ship it to wisconsin, and i doubt you'd trust a random stranger like myself to figure out what's wrong with it, but the offer is always there

Oct 18, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Just thought I'd follow up on this post.

I spent quite a bit of time on arstechnica.infopop.net thanks to andrzejpw suggestion. Although we never we able to figure it the exact problem I learned a few things that helped me sell the thing. This is a great site for computer stuff.

Although I didn't get a lot for it, I did manage to get $155 for the box. Being that its a year old and not working, I guess I'm pretty happy about it all in all. Plus at least the box is out of my house so I don't have to remember what a dumb ass I was every time I see it
wink.gif

Now how much do those cable upgrades for the HD-600's cost ... j/k

Zin

Oct 18, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
'Professionals' are few and far inbetween. The chances of said 'professionals' screwing up your PC further are quite large.

Join the true geek of the geek at the forums on www.anandtech.com. Ask for advice and ye shall receive!

Just to put you off, you'll find me there too
very_evil_smiley.gif

wow. Ars is so much better than anand.
biggrin.gif
jk(or am I?) Though I always visit the hot deals forums there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry you couldn't fix the computer. Just letting you know. . . you could have parted the computer out, you would have gotten a LOT more.
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Zin_Ramu

Although I didn't get a lot for it, I did manage to get $155 for the box. Being that its a year old and not working, I guess I'm pretty happy about it all in all. Plus at least the box is out of my house so I don't have to remember what a dumb ass I was every time I see it
wink.gif

Now how much do those cable upgrades for the HD-600's cost ... j/k

Zin

screw!!!! That's a good deal... With some judicious parts-swapping it could have been a decent comp... much better than my paltry P2-400

Buy cardas cables!

Oct 19, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Yeah selling for parts or trying to fix it myself probably would have been better options. But no one was able to pin point which were the parts that were broken. People suspected everything from the MB, memory, video card, hard drive, or floppy. So I really couldn't sell parts that could be broken. And since my other system is a laptop I didn't have the equipment to test to see what was broke. The last thing I wanted to do was start buying parts or go the repair shop ... no more money into this mess.

Anyway, I'm glad its done.

Zin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back