any suggestions for me? looking to upgrade from m50s :)
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KingCzar

aka Sorpanino (not to be mistaken for Sopranino)
Hi, i have had m50s for a long time, and i wanna get another pair of headphones. I like to game, and listen to old school hiphop, psy trance, some modern hiphop like j cole, progressive rock, stoner metal, nu metal, and metal. I like to feel my music in a way, but i rather have good sound quality than just bass breaking my ears you know? Any price is fine for me as i wont be buying any headphones but am planning for the future. what do you guys think? i dont have a decent soundcard, or amp either so i need to get one  which isnt a problem. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Do you like the general v-shaped sound of the M50's? Are these for portable or at home (open or closed)? Anything you've been looking at in particular? Lots of questions I know, but they're important :D.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 8
In addition to those questions, what is your budget for headphones and amp (if needed)? Any price is a little too vague. We can suggest $1000 headphones and $1000 amp/dacs to go with them :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 8
1000$ amp would be too much, 1000$ headphones would be fine to strive for. I will be able to pay around 400$ though, 200$ amp sounds reasonable. I like at home, i dont leave much and i dont wanna look delicious with an amp and headphones on lol. the v shaped sound to me sounds fine, but  i have nothing to compare to. the bass isnt wow to me its fine. i enjoy my music. ive never heard open headphones, say the volume to my ears was 80dB what would it sound like outside (dB level 10 feet away or so) to someone, say on a pair of hd800s or some other well known good sounding headphones.

How does hiphop sound with neutral headphones or what ever you wanna call it such as hd 598s, they are on sale 53% off!

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 8
The bass doesn't go so deep, the Phillips X2's might be better on that front for ya, they're bassy and warm and an open design. Add a Schiit stack or O2/ODAC and you'd be good to go. Fostex TH600's are the perfect step up to the M50's in my mind, and are easy to amp. Also, Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs could be a good choice. All have a warm, powerful sound and good bass for modern music, while not being bass cannons. Just some ideas to get you started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back