Any suggestions for getting rid of "the green"?
Nov 9, 2005 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bender13

Head-Fier
Howdy,
Sorry if this has been posted in another thread...

I purchased my Sensaphonics a couple of months ago, and the dreaded green cable has started. I tried to avoid "the green" by buying some desicants and putting them in a Pelikan case when I wasn't using them, but to no avail. I love the headphones, but I hate the green. Same thing happened to my pair of Shure E5's, and I hate them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 7
There is, alas, no way to get rid of the green. This same problem has occurred on other stereo gear, mostly IEMs. It results from human oils coming in contact with certain types of plastic, and it's a type of oxidation.

My best advice (and it's good advice) is to give your gear a cleaning with water, then keep it very dry. Some suggest dessicant pouches, but I can't speak to their effectiveness in this situation. Oils are your main enemy here.

Sometimes, with more expensive gear, the manufacturer will recable your gear (preferably with black cables) if you're nice. Go that route as your best solution.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Slightly OT, but, when I first read your thread title, I thought you wanted to know some of the best ways of wasting money (getting rid of the green).
tongue.gif

Just thought I'd mention that...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the advice. I figured I'd be stuck with some green cable, but that's ok b/c the sound is just amazing. I just coupled my iPod shuffle with a Xin supermicro amp and my nano with the supermini. Man alive, I'm in bliss. Wow, do these things go well together...

And as you can see, I've been pretty good about getting rid of my other green...

Thanks again!

Nov 10, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Shure will replace with new.

He's using Sensaphonics, and their cable is not replaceable without remaking the earphones.

Anyway, I know it's not aesthetically pleasing to have a green cable, but I remember seeing that another member actually called Sensa and asked about the green cable and they said it did not effect the sound in any way. But I can understand your desire to get rid of the green tint in the cable.

How bad is it? Care to share a picture?

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 7
On the other hand, when i install a copper roof, clients are always impatient and want to know how long will it take for the surface to gain that natural green patina. (10-15 yrs).
icon10.gif

My e5's are patinated (2yrs), Sensa's not (16months).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back