Any suggestions for a small-sized but good quality speaker/amp to hook up to my imod in my car?
Jun 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

500+ Head-Fier
I have a 2004 Mazda, so I don't have the auxiliary jack, meaning either I have to get an adapter installed, which means drilling, etc., and probably I give up the amp when I sell my car, or I get a portable device I can carry around with me that is small but has good speaker sound.  I see Nuforce has a new product (the "cube") but I read that it's very bass-light, almost non-existent, and it's monaural.  Don't want to spend too much on this, but I am looking for something that doesn't sound tinny or fatiguing (the Podio PS-106 active speaker was a disaster - just awful to my ears, but that's what you get for 25 dollars I guess)....

Suggestions please!

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I have a 2004 Mazda, so I don't have the auxiliary jack, meaning either I have to get an adapter installed, which means drilling, etc., and probably I give up the amp when I sell my car...

Isn't there a slot-in/snap on kit to replace the stock receiver on the panel with a regular 1-din(+map pocket) or 2-din slot for your car? You can then hook up a Bluetooth receiver with no drilling.

As for the amp, if you decide to use any...why would that be necessary? I know a lot of people whose amps have gone from one car to the next.

Quote:
...I get a portable device I can carry around with me that is small but has good speaker sound.  I see Nuforce has a new product (the "cube") but I read that it's very bass-light, almost non-existent, and it's monaural. 

Whatever you get if it's a tiny active speaker it will most likely sound monaural, even if its stereo if the speakers are too close to each other (like a small bar with speakers on each end). Where do you plan to mount the active speakers? If you have a speaker bar with stereo speakers, assuming they actually image properly, you'd have to put them on the dashboard, and with the iPod dock on top of it, it's probably not a safe driving option. Or you can Blu-Tac them to the higher points on the cupholder ahead of the gear selector/shifter, speakers pointed up towards the rear view mirror (just use a cable, not the dock), but you can't use them as cupholders. In any case, chances are the better ones would need you to tap a voltage converter or USB adapter to the 12v lighter socket, so with all those cables all over the place, I'd much rather look into replacing the receiver.

Then again there's the Razer Ferox which has its own battery, so that will at least eliminate one set of cables. To make your life easy, get one of those portable USB chargers. That way you can BluTac the Ferox speakers to your dash near the doors (mind which is L and R), run the wires along the sides and bottom of the dash and secure them there (electrical tape, etc), and when you need to charge just hook up a long cable to the portable charger. Or you can leave it to charge overnight, ready for the next day's drive, then charge the portable charger again.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 3
thanks for the advice.  i'm still not sure what i'm going to end up doing yet .. i did mean speakers, not amp :)  i would just hate to do a full blown mod or purchase a new radio unit simply for want of a auxiliary jack.  will let you know what i end up doing though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back