Any suggestions for a desktop amp i.e less than 20cm wide - no DAC
Oct 10, 2011 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sixshades

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm after a desktop amp that can sit on my desktop next to my computer monitor.
I currently have an Arcam FMJ A32 and B&W CM1 (8ohm) speakers but they pretty much take up the whole desk.

Ideally, I'd like to build an amp that is small enough to fit on my desk but still powerful enough to drive a pair of bookshelf speakers.
I had planned to build AMBs B22 amp but the costs seem to gone up to about £200 for a 3 board option since I last looked.

Any ideas of projects for around £50-80.

Last resort is to buy one new or second hand. Can't seem to find a dedicated small amp that fits the bill - lots of Chinese headphone amp examples but I don't know if they will drive speakers well enough.

I've considered getting a second hand Denon/Teac/Yamaha/Onkyo off ebay - has anybody got any experience with one of these little units.

One last point is that occasionally I will also use it with a pair of Denon D5000s so it would be an added extra if it would suit these.

Best regards.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 5
I am on a little Tripath TA2020 amp and paired with somewhat efficient speakers (near field/PC Audio) they are prolly one of the best bang for buck electronic buys for me for a while 
L3000.gif
If u think you need more juice or looking higher end T-Amps have a look at

Dayton DTA-100A
Topping TP22
Sure TK2050

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Cheers, Trog, you've got me going off on yet another tangent now.
I've spotted some pre-made TK2050 boards by hifimediy which seem to get good reviews.
Still not sure what to do but I'm getting closer.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back