Any such thing as good buds?
Mar 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, I am enjoying the PK1 as well. Amazing earbud.

Now you're making me jealous!!
biggrin.gif

Head-Direct.com will ship internationally

Thanks for that. I'll take a look, but the postage and tax concern me.

Ian

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #17 of 20
Simply because they're easily available here, I managed to get a pair of ATH-CM700Ti.

First try with them showed them to be extremely detailed. What surprised me was that for 16 ohm 'phones, they still need a little more pushing than I expected on an Ipod.

Sound is very detailed and wide!! At first, I felt that the sound was thin with a strong bass attack but turning them in my ears made a massive difference. I found that by turning the arms upwards, the drivers became more secure in my ear (Probably a bit further in) and the result was warmth with the detail retained.

After reading around the threads here, I notice that quite a few people refer to the top end and lacking bass. Once I turned them, there was plenty of bass. I put pads on them and the bass has really thumped in. In fact, they're not thin at all. Quite an amazing sound for little buds and they're not even burned in.

I'll see how they go for the next month. Off to Spain so they're going with me rather than carrying full blown headphones.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I never thought that I would find anything worth listening to, but it just shows how ear buds have come on recently.

Ian

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 20
It’s a shame there aren’t more companies that put out quality, non-isolating earbuds, as there’s definitely a market for them. I can’t wear sealed iem’s at work since I need to be able to hear my phone, and I don’t like lugging around full size phones or clip on’s. My pk3’s are honestly my best friends while at work
biggrin.gif
. I just think the majority of people listening portably are used to ibud style earbuds & don’t realize that there’s something available like the yuins. I basically thought it was impossible to get good sound out of buds before I bought them because of my past experience w/ different brands of them.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s a shame there aren’t more companies that put out quality, non-isolating earbuds, as there’s definitely a market for them. I can’t wear sealed iem’s at work since I need to be able to hear my phone, and I don’t like lugging around full size phones or clip on’s. My pk3’s are honestly my best friends while at work
biggrin.gif
. I just think the majority of people listening portably are used to ibud style earbuds & don’t realize that there’s something available like the yuins. I basically thought it was impossible to get good sound out of buds before I bought them because of my past experience w/ different brands of them.

That's exactly how I felt. Nothing serious to listen to as far as 'open' buds go. Unfortunately, the Yuins aren't easy to get here in the UK so I got the Audio Technicas. Luckily, they do actually sound very good; especially once you get the fit right. That's really critical with them. (Which isn't the case with the horrible ipod buds - they sound the same however you fit them)

I wasn't looking for anything seriously 'hi-fi' because I'm only wandering around with them, listening to compressed files, but I did want something significantly better than the nasty sounding Ipod buds.

I like the Triple Fi's and use them a lot, but don't always want to be cut off since it can be a bit dangerous wandering across roads etc. Just wanted a second decent pair of open buds when I need to hear outside as well.

The other thing with the AT's is that they seem to respond well to amping which came as a surprise. Interestingly enough, the British Hi-Fi mag 'Hi-Fi News' placed them top in a collective review of earbuds although they say that they don't measure as well as the others.

With all that experience out there on Head-Fi, I knew that someone would suggest a decent bud in the end. What has amazed me though is the lack of choice.

I did a lot of searching and basically, Yuin came up every time. There's not a lot else suggested and asking a direct question has only come up with two options - Yuin and Audio Technica.

That surprised me. So I guess that there isn't a lot out there that is decent in the area of open buds. Shame really.

Ian

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 20
Well, I've been living with the Audio-Technica CM700(/Ti) for a few weeks now and it is absolutely amazing for an earbud, so I guess there IS such a thing as a good earbud that's open.

It has a totally different sound signature with the pads on for my ears since they seal better that way and I get a lot more bass.

I have read that they are bass light but I haven't found them lacking in the bass at all with the foam pads on. They go thinner sounding with the pads off for me.

I never thought that such a warm, detailed sound could come from a tiny heaphone like this. They are a great listen so thanks to the guys telling me about them.

OK2 is arriving soon so I will be really interested to see how they compare. This little experimentation with buds has really paid off and I've grown to really like the sound of the Audio Technica.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back