Any stores in New Orleans with IEM demos?
Mar 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Quixizous

Head-Fier
I've tried finding information on the Interwebs, but no luck so far. I'm hoping for an audio, A/V, or general electronics store in the Greater New Orleans area that demos high end IEMs and headphones, but I'm mostly interested in the IEMs. I could just buy blind (or deaf?), like with my Etymotic ER-6i's, but that was only $50 at Amazon at the time. If anyone reading this knows of other ways to demo IEMs, that'd be great, too. Thanks.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quixizous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried finding information on the Interwebs, but no luck so far. I'm hoping for an audio, A/V, or general electronics store in the Greater New Orleans area that demos high end IEMs and headphones, but I'm mostly interested in the IEMs. I could just buy blind (or deaf?), like with my Etymotic ER-6i's, but that was only $50 at Amazon at the time. If anyone reading this knows of other ways to demo IEMs, that'd be great, too. Thanks.

I'm wondering the SAME thing!!! I live in Mandeville and I can't find a place where I can demo some Denon AH-D5000's. I checked Alterman audip (no luck). Next I'm going to try Wilson audio on Severn in Metairie, and Audio Resource on Edenborne in Metairie.

Good to know there is someone else around here who is into this stuff!

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Lol. I don't know anyone else around here who's into headphones, either. I figured that, out of a million people in the area, at least one would check head-fi, too.

If you find anything, let me know through this thread. Would be nice to try before buying unlike every other pair of headphones I have. Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 15
I tried Alterman, Audio Resource, Wilson and Guitar Center today. Guitar Center didn't have any nice cans and they don't allow demoes. Alterman didn't have any headphones at all, and they were rude to boot. Audio Resource and Wilson must not want business because they were both closed. I called the number on the door for an appointment, but they didn't answer.

I guess my only option is to buy something and hope I like it. If I don't like I guess I can just take the hit on the sale. That sucks.

What is your opinion on the Grado SR 325i? There is a guy here in Mandeville selling some for $200. I've really got my heart set on AH-D5000's, but I'd like to try the Grado's for a comparison. Plus I hear they are great with rock, which makes up the majority of my collection.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 15
I was recently traveling out of the New Orleans airport and stumbled onto one of those Altitune stores in the terminal right before concourse B. The salesguy saw me looking at the IEM display and encouraged to try out the Shure SE530's. He had a demo model on which he put a fresh set of buds (wouldn't have tried them otherwise) and seemed to enjoy the fact that I had a headphone amp for my ipod. I was in a bit of a rush so I don't remember what other IEM's they had, but it was a memorable experience hearing the 530's.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 15
I'd be interested in a meet. I'm always attending meets with my car group.

Anyone interested in putting something together? Unfortunately I don't have anything to contribute, but it would be nice to meet some like minded individuals and try out a few cans.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 15
Sorry the search didn't pan out, subjekt32. I wasn't really expecting to find a store like that in the area, anyway. Makes me wish I lived in LA or New York or some other place that has specialty stores for everything.

I suppose you could ask the SR 325i owner for a short tryout session. I doubt he'd mind. I own a pair of Grado SR 125's, and they're great for rock. I really don't have much to compare it to, though (also own Etymotic er-6i's, AKG K-26p's, and [used to own] Sennheiser HD650's). The Grado sound signature seems to suit rock well.

Thanks, taug. Too bad it's in the airport, though. Never did like dealing with airports.
smily_headphones1.gif

And if anyone in the GNO area wanted to set up a meet, that'd be great. I normally have zero opportunity to talk about hi end audio.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 15
I realize this thread is old, but I am guessing there aren't many of us on here from the area. We definitely should do a meet. Honestly I feel like we should put on a convention like RMOF and CanJam. I know we aren't an audiophile city by any standard, and almost everyone at the event would be out of towners, but New Orleans is a big convention city for a reason. We have so many hotels and who does not want to opportunity to come hear. There could be organized trips at night to Jazz clubs. Honestly I would be willing to pitch in some free time to organize it.

I suppose if nothing else we should just get together a local meet, but that just doesn't sound like as much fun. I am going to call it CanJam at the First Annual Jazz City Audio Fest. Maybe I should message Jude about the idea, not that I am sure plenty of people haven't said. "You should have a national meet in my city". Our city is just better.

As for the stores, my friend mentioned the one in the airport, he bought a pair of 535's from there. I don't know if it has always been, but he said it was a lot of Bose and Beats, with a few Shures and the like.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 15
The store in the airport was where I purchased my Klipsch S4i as well as some Comply and Shure foam tips to go with the S4i and HF3.  I have had the same problem trying to find a good place to demo headphones.  I live in Slidell and I was fortunate enough to find an authorized Audio Technica retailer.  The owner let me demo the M50 that I now own though his selection of headphones was very limited.  He did give me a better price than amazon though so I took him up on the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back