Any Stabbing Westward fans?
Nov 8, 2001 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I thought Darkest Days was one of THE best albums i heard in the last three years. What are your thoughts?

George

Nov 10, 2001 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Darkest Days is my favorite album of the 90's, beating the likes of Garbage, Curve, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, and others. Stupendous. And HDCD to boot! Nice variety in the style of Pink Floyd and Dream Theater (though not progressive...it just has that deep, dark, quiet, understated stuff, followed by barrage of metal and synths). And you should be able to get either of their previous two albums really cheap, too.

The new, self-titled one is very good, too, though it's not as continuous as their previous one. It's more song-oriented. They must have taken some lessons from Garbage. I think it will be perceived as having less filler, though I wouldn't say DD has any filler. Wither Blister Burn & Peel is really good, too.

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Yup, i think DD was one of THE best cds i heard in the 90's. Just simply amazing, its like you got the chance to go into the mind and deepest thoughts of the singer, very scary stuff, lol. This is one of the reasons why i started collecting bootlegs. Hell i even got my hands on 2 from SW, one of them is very good quality (from a radio broadcast, all acoustic!).

George

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 6
It's an excellent album, checked it out last night. I wouldn't rate it above Garbage's first album, but that's personal preference. How are their other albums?

Nov 11, 2001 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmm, i personally liked DD the most. I never got much into their latest effort, but their first full album, "Wither, blister burn and peel" is quite good. Hmm, as for Garbages first and second album, those are classics, but Darkest Days is up in that realm as well as being a classic. I've been listening to Linkin Park and Foo Fighters 1st album.

Nov 11, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I wouldn't rate it above Garbage's first album, but that's personal preference.

I didn't used to, either -- give it time.
tongue.gif
Quote:

How are their other albums?

A rundown:
Latest - more poppy than any of the others, but still quite good. Probably my second favorite after DD. It's got some ballads on it, like Filter's second album, but they are heartfelt and sound sincere.

WBB&P - Most "industrial", in the later-Ministry/NIN sense, quite good. Highly recommended. Might be my second favorite also, I have not played it in a while. Need to whip it out.

Ungod - surprisingly not as raw as one would expect for a first effort whose later releases reflect such a sheen as they do. Recommended, but...get it last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back