Any ss amp recommendation?
Jul 24, 2008 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ack_0220

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am looking for a solid state headphone amp that also has balanced XLR output to be used as pre-amp for my speakers as well. Any recommendation?

Thanks

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 27
Balanced amps can get really expensive. I would take a look at the HeadRoom balanced desktop amp. A balanced beta 22 may also be right up your alley.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 27
I would agree with the Head Amp GS-X. I've got a Gilmore V2 and if I ever upgraded...... the GS-X would be on my short list of solid state amps.
Price is very good when compared with major manufacturers products and their marketing departments going at it....

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 27
Are there only that few manufacturers out there that makes balanced ss amp? What else is there besides the headamp, headroom, ray samuels and rudistors?

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
balanced XLR output, not sure

i know grace offers balanced XLR input, meier audio has a monoblock configuration for balanced, maybe luxman offers something above the P-1 that has balanced outputs

I checked the Grace M902 out, it now comes with balanced TRS output upgrade. It also has a build in DAC. Looks good. Anyone have one of these? Anyone knows how the Benchmark DAC1-Pre and the M902 compared against those mentioned up there? These 2 head/pre-amp seems to be cheaper than the others.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 27
Keep in mind that the standard convention for a balanced amp is dual 3 pin XLR. SO if I was you and really wanted that DAC/amp, I'd get the base cable reterminated to a 4 pin and a pigtail made that reterms to 2 1/4" plugs. That way if you ever want a formal balanced amp you will run into far less problems.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that the standard convention for a balanced amp is dual 3 pin XLR. SO if I was you and really wanted that DAC/amp, I'd get the base cable reterminated to a 4 pin and a pigtail made that reterms to 2 1/4" plugs. That way if you ever want a formal balanced amp you will run into far less problems.

Since the M902 output on a 1/4" TRS, can't i just get a TRS to 3-pin XLR converter? I plan to get a pre-amp for my studio monitor actually and it has TRS and XLR input, should not be a problem for me. However, it is always good to know what can i do if i ever get my cans recabled with balanced input.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 27
Ack, I don't have any input on this to help you narrow down your choices, but for those that can, what is your budget for an amp? That should help narrow the field a bit.

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ack, I don't have any input on this to help you narrow down your choices, but for those that can, what is your budget for an amp? That should help narrow the field a bit.

Actually my budget was initially set to something around $1000, but it seems that most balanced head/pre-amp cost much more than that. I guess for the price range i can only get unbalanced amps like the GS-1. Is there anything less than $1000 that is better than the GS-1?

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 27
Boy... I don't know about the GS-1.

First, of all... you can't get them, or any of the Headamp products. So... unless you want to wait for 9 months... I'd "forgedaboudit!" After about 4 months, I have.

From the reviews, it can't be that good... most say its sound is "too lean and analytical." That might have been good with the "old" version of the Senns, but the "new" versions don't need that.

So... for my money... they're just not an option anymore.

I'd be looking at the excellent X-CANv8 (tube/SS hybrid - better with low impedance phones), or the GS Solo (great, but a bit pricey), or the HR-2, or the KICAS, or perhaps others... maybe even the Meier Audio Opera (now on sale).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back