Any speakers as clean and clear as Etymotic Research ER4S
Aug 1, 2008 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

LIVE_EVIL

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I am a big fan of Etymotic Research products, especially ER4S, which I own.
ER4S always amazes me with its fantastic imaging and detail.
I was wondering if anyone ever encountered a pair of speakers which could reach or maybe beat the SQ of Etys?

Feel free to share on this subject.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 19
P.S. Darn, I posted in the wrong forum. Moderators could you please move the thread to the appropriate forum.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 19
I started with speakers that reproduce voice and other natural sounds well and eventually found that the Etymotic get close to that sound.

I eventually switched to the ER4P since sound in a room tends to slope down from lower to higher frequencies. The ER4S is simply to dry to be realistic for my taste.

I use Harbeth Montitor 40 speakers. The Monitor 30 does not reach as low and is even closer to the Etys.

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 19
Electrostats are very nice indeed but as you state room interaction is a major problem. Unless you put up a large amount of dampening around and behind the speakers you end up with an overwhelming amount of diffuse sound field from the reflected rear radiation. Good equalization is also key.

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 19
My Adam A7 have ribbon tweeters and an amazing clarity in midrange and highs. Plus the woofers give you a substantial bass that is not present with the etys (and I love my etys, don't get me wrong).

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 19
Avalon.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 19
i'm a huge Ety fan, myself. and while I look for a bit more groove in speakers than i do in headphones, i'll give a shout out to my Rega R5 speakers.

excellent timing and clarity give me almost the same "lost in the details" reverie as the ER4, with more musicality (grooviness, if you will).

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Martin Logans or Maggies.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 19
Hey guys,
thanks for all your responses.
I also discovered that ProAc Studio 100 with reflex ports sealed come very close to Etys in resolution and detail. I drive them using McIntosh MC2125 from 2Ohm output taps.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 19
Hey guys,
thanks for all your responses.
I also discovered that ProAc Studio 100 with reflex ports sealed come very close to Etys in resolution and detail. I drive them using McIntosh MC2125 from 2Ohm output taps.

So I have to admit that ProAc Studio 100 are nowhere near ER4S in terms of resolution. I still have ProAcs though :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #15 of 19
High-end digital room correction system/loudspeakers would probably come close if you don't already have a very well-damped listening room.

Lyngdorf RoomPerfect, Genelec or Meridian. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back