Any sound experiences with Pocket Reference 2 of Larocco Audio?
Nov 16, 2005 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rainbird

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I am interested in buying the Larocco Pocket Reference II.
I want to use it with a pair of Grado RS-1 and Etymotics ER 4P.
Does anybody have listening experience with that amp?
rs1smile.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Hi,
I am interested in buying the Larocco Pocket Reference II.
I want to use it with a pair of Grado RS-1 and Etymotics ER 4P.
Does anybody have listening experience with that amp?
rs1smile.gif

Wow,
it seems that up to now nobody really received the PR2.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
Yes, I have.
If you want to use your Etymorphic Research 4P, you have found your amp here.
With the variable bass, high-quality files from a high-quality player really make you feel the bass, realism and spaciousness with these!
I have the iHP-140 with non-compressed .wav-files, through the Overture DAC and using the Larocco Pocket Ref. II with OPA627BP-opamps, and using the Etymorphic Research 4P the sound is really concert-hall!
You need a very good home-amp to make the sound better with the ETY's.

Oh,
sorry I was a bit quick I think with my second post :)).

Now I received the HeadCode some days ago and after a little burn in time it now really starts to sound great.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Check the NYC meet impressions thread, we have a number of impressions and comparisons on it there!

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 13
i don't know how much of the innards has been changed from the PR v.1, which i used to have (and is now in Genetic's hands). but i think my custom one is quite similar to the v.2 PRs, with most of the changes in the housing.

i did not particularly like the PR with the etys, both the P and the S. the etys are neutral and very detailed, as is the PR - at least with the op-amp i used most often - the AD8610. the PR is very detailed and somewhat dry, which did not make a good combo with the er4p/s, IMO. but, different op-amps might make a warmer sound.

it's a fast, powerful, and solidly-built amp, though. i used mine as a home amp and it was more than adequate for my equipment.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 13
I have the Pocket Reference 2 and it sounds superb, the synergy with Senn HD650s is awesome.

I cannot flaw the sound in any way with installed AD8620s. Wide expansive soundstage, sparkling highs, extended and controlled bass, highly fluid and musical, excellent detail and rock solid control. It is both highly engaging and unfatigueing... I can listen for hours without getting bored or getting earache.

It will run for 70+ hours on 2x9v lithium batteries, or around 15 hours on rechargeables.

Build quality is outstanding, with everything finished solidly and to a very close tolerance... you could probable run over it with a truck and not dent it.

I liked my first PR2 so much that I've ordered a second one with Black Gate caps installed.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I liked my first PR2 so much that I've ordered a second one with Black Gate caps installed.

Lucky bum.

I'm always struck with lust whenever I see a picture of one of these amps. They're just gorgeous, and look like they'd survive a nuke. The only problem is that they never, never show up used.

I wonder why....

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
Lucky bum.

I'm always struck with lust whenever I see a picture of one of these amps. They're just gorgeous, and look like they'd survive a nuke. The only problem is that they never, never show up used.

I wonder why....

Well maybe it's your lucky day! Once the new PR2 arrives, I plan to sell the old one... Larry tells me this may still be 5-6 weeks away, but drop me a private message if you're interested. Alan
cool.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 13
Sorry for my ignorant, why it comes with 2 volume pot?
This amp is truly beauty indeed. And it sit right on top of my wishlist
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by illuxionist
Sorry for my ignorant, why it comes with 2 volume pot?
This amp is truly beauty indeed. And it sit right on top of my wishlist
biggrin.gif

[size=medium]
Only the rightmost knob (facing the amp from the front) is for overall volume. The leftmost knob is the bass contour control which amplifies bass frequencies only---great for giving new life to bright recordings.
[/size]

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 13
As Jahn said, there are a few impressions of the PRII in the latest NYC meet impressions thread. The amp there was mine and I find it to be a very sophisticated sounding piece of gear. It is extremely neutral so if you like any kind of coloration in your sound it had better come from your headphones or source.

When comparing it to the other portable headphones at the meet most found the PR to be superior. However, it was being compared to the smallest of the small, such as the AE-1 and Hornet. The PR is not as portable as either of these amps and is a bit more money, unless you get it at the group buy price.

The list price is $510, which may be more than most would want to spend for a portable amp. I'm using it primarily as a home amp though, and I slike it better than the Micro Amp with desktop module. It works well with Grados and Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back