any snowboarders (skiers) here? (what head/earphones to buy)
Mar 16, 2008 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ads1107

100+ Head-Fier
hi all

well, any boarders (skiers)? surely (hoping) there are a few
cool.gif

what do you use when on the slopes?

moving on....... snow season does not start for another few months here, i thought id start researching now. that way i dont leave it too late.

i tried my jays d-jays last snow season, dont go there!
tongue.gif
because i wear a beanie, or headband, really isnt the most comfortable.

i but these for my new zealand trip, something cheap : SONY - Australia
SONY - Australia

they werent the best, they were more comfy then the jays though!

so, what do i buy now? price, about $100usd. keep in mind, i do wear a beanie or hedband to keep my ears from freezing
icon10.gif
so the beanie or headband will go over the headphones....

maybe something like this style:
SONY - Australia
SONY - Australia

or this, or any others in the sennheiser sports range:
sennheiser lx70 sport - Google Image Search

prefer behind the neck and over the ear. can be any style except in-ear/canal phones (i need to hear some things around me lol) can be bluetooth/a2dp since ill most likely be using my phone since i dont like to carry too many things whilst i board!

music i listen to, trance, prog (house, trance), techno, electro house.... sound quality is not overly important, comfort is the most important!

suggesstions?

ta

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 39
to be honest, I would avoid riding with music playing. Unless, you are on the bunny slopes all day, listening to music could become dangerous. I get agitated when I see boarders bombing down cruisers with their headphones on because they seem to be in another world, having no respect for the other people on the mountain. That's just my suggestion.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 39
As stated by PM, "Rise to the top" is the resident member with the ski application experience to help you, hopefully.

Lots of issues with microphonics of cables on some, fit/comfort , protection of components, as well as safety which he no doubt would be the man with alot of experience to share, as well as sharred musical taste too, I believe...

Bet he's at the slopes listening and living the life of Spring skiing as I jealously type...GRRRRRRR
wink.gif

~Bump~
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 39
I wouldn't recommend doing that. Last year, when I was at a ski trip in Bulgaria, I took my G3 + apple original buds and I went down a not very steep slope, and I was right in the middle of my fav tune so I wasn't very concentrated. I went of the slope and into the deep snowed edges. My ski's fell off, and believe you me, it wasn't so much fun :S

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 39
AKG K1000
k1000.jpg

sorry i have no actual suggestions.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 39
will check out those Burton beanies, i do need a new beanie any way :)

as for the akg k1000, they could be ear warmers on their own lol!

i know listening to music on the slopes can be dangerous. but im not stupid, volume wise. i dont put it full blast, only a couple bars, its background music, i make sure i can still hear the outside world easily.

any other suggestions peeps?

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 39
i just got back from boarding. i used my um1s in one ear. i liked it because they were very comfy, no microphonics, and stayed in well. i think having one ear isolated is safer than 2 ears with open phones. but if you are adament about no in-ears, the only bud recommendations ive heard are for the yuin pk series. ive tried the pk2s and really liked them.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 39
i used to rock the porta-pros outside my beanie while snowboarding, but if you fall on your head like i do, they can break and thats 50 bucks (USD) down the drain.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 39
id prefer no in ears, just becuase it blocks out too much noise!

my brother uses these, as does a mate.
Sennheiser Worldwide: OMX 90 VC - OMX 90 VC

The Sennheiser OMX 90 VC. Both seem to be happy with them. Both sound and comfort wise. The ear clips help keep them in place, ive decided im not fussed whether the are 'normal' earphones, drop down, or behind the neck, also starting to think i ONLY want over the ear! Something like the above would be ideal i guess! anything people can recommend which are similar/better, round same price! (they are about $100aud in store here)

ooo..... i know i said sq isnt the most important, comfort is. but like i said, the above style would be ideal, so if any one knows of any better sounding earphones then them, then let me have it :wink: ! Ta

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to be honest, I would avoid riding with music playing. Unless, you are on the bunny slopes all day, listening to music could become dangerous. I get agitated when I see boarders bombing down cruisers with their headphones on because they seem to be in another world, having no respect for the other people on the mountain. That's just my suggestion.

boo, that's what it's all about ''being in another world''

bombing down the slope dodging people and kids

my only suggestion is something fairly cheap you don't care about breaking/losing

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 39
yeah, im not worried about other people. well i am. but i dont need my ears to see the people in front of me lol.

for people behind me, well, its their responsibility to watch where they are going. its their fault if they hit me, its not my responsibility to look out for them! as those who board/ski will know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back