Any Sennheiser that can touch a Audio-Techica A900?
Oct 21, 2004 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

adamofwales

100+ Head-Fier
Well, is there?

People here say that the A900 is the best pair of cans under $250 for unamped useage, which, if true, would make them a pretty damn good can. Not to mention, they're also closed so you won't piss off your neighbor.

Question is, is there a Sennheiser alternative available?

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 66
The A900 is unbeatable by any Sennheiser headphone that I can think of for what it does. As Bangraman had said, for the features you had referenced the A900 is king in its price class. I do warn you however, although Audio-Technica support and reliability is very good, you do not technically have a warrenty from them. I was lucky, in the way that they sent me a brand new pair of A900s after having received my broken pair. I would suspect my case was the exception, not the rule. Although I am told that AudioCubes stands behind all products sold, and will in fact deal with Audio Technica on the customer's behalf.

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 66
I would have to say that for the criteria you posted, 1)unamped, and 2)closed, that the answer would be "no." Sennheisers on the whole need to be amped. Those that don't need to be amped, are either not closed, or are closed but are at a different price point (HD25-1 or HD280 being examples). Therefore, I would say spending $200-250 for a closed can that doesn't need an amp would lead you naturally away from Sennheiser and towards the ATH line. Unless of course you can handle the DT770/80 by Beyerdynamic, which is a different can of tuna from the A900 of course.

This brings me to another point. Don't you feel there is a gap here in getting a quality closed can from the $200-300 range? Can anyone name any? A used CD3k maybe, but some manufacturer should step up and deliver a high quality stock new factory closed can, don't you think? We need more choices, selection, variety at this price point imho. Could one of the new sonys be the savior? That remains to be seen from the bold people willing to buy blind and find out.

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I don't think so. In those specific respects you mentioned the A900 hype is deserved IMO.

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback, straightforward and to the point... Now if I could just figure out which one of you works for Senn Corporate and which one of you work for AT Corporate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 66
Actually, I'd say it's only the best can under $250 only for unamped AND closed options, not only for unamped. Once you start considering open unamped cans below $250, a lot of options appear. Grado. Beyer. Sennheiser as well.

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Why do you want a Sennheiser alternative?

What's wrong with the Audio-Technica name?

450, Thank you for asking this question, and it's a damn good one at that.

First, I like Sennheiser's marketing efforts, both online and off, more than AT. Hell, AT's website takes a PhD in Web Surfing, just to find a little information.

Secondly, I like Sennheiser's availability a lot more. It seems that audiocubes.com has a virtual monopoly on Audio-Technica headphones, which I don't like.

Thirdly, I like being able to order from amazon.com if I want to.

Now, having said the three statements listed above, I still am not willing to sacrifice sonic quality. Therefore, I posed the question.

And, as of right now, it's clear that the A900 is the best for portable useage without an amp. And I do suspect, that if you did go ahead and add a amp, you'd probably be blow away.

Does anyone know if there is a burn-in period with the A900?

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamofwales
Well, is there?

People here say that the A900 is the best pair of cans under $250 for unamped useage, which, if true, would make them a pretty damn good can. Not to mention, they're also closed so you won't piss off your neighbor.

Question is, is the a Sennheiser alternative available?

In the under $250 unamped category, the Sennheiser HD595 is an excellent alternative. I preferred them to my previous pair of A900s because they were open and had a sonic signature that was more to my liking.

In the under $250 closed and unamped category, there really isn't a Sennheiser alternative available (they seem to specialize in open cans), and A900s are hard to beat with offerings from all brands. I would only go with the HD25-1s if I needed the portability and efficiency (or special utility such as DJ monitor).

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

First, I like Sennheiser's marketing efforts, both online and off, more than AT. Hell, AT's website takes a PhD in Web Surfing, just to find a little information.

Which AT's website are you talking about. Since Audio Technica really doesn't have any official distribution here in US for their high-end consumer audio products, the only site they update regularly is the Japanese website. Any English website is really not.. er.. important to them.

Quote:

Secondly, I like Sennheiser's availability a lot more. It seems that audiocubes.com has a virtual monopoly on Audio-Technica headphones, which I don't like.

Thirdly, I like being able to order from amazon.com if I want to.

True, they're all imported, refer to the point above. So ordering from Amazon for A-T is impossible. Only other thing is going to Japan and get one.

Quote:

Does anyone know if there is a burn-in period with the A900?

Yes, every headphone has a burn-in period. The sound all changes somewhat from when they're new.. some are dramatic, some are less, some takes very, very long. A900 properly reaches a point of stabilization within 40 hours or so... Sennheisers are notorious for very, very long break-in times.

Anyway, so to address the original question, as well as repeat what most people have already mentioned.

A900 is the best unamped and closed headphone option there is available in that price class. Everything else in that class is either open-air, needs good amping, or a combination of both. Everything else higher than this class of headphone will require good amping as well.

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback, straightforward and to the point... Now if I could just figure out which one of you works for Senn Corporate and which one of you work for AT Corporate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wrong on both counts
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

And, as of right now, it's clear that the A900 is the best for portable useage without an amp.

The A900's are not portable. I am using them at work right now and I don't dare walk out of the office with them on. You would like a freak walking down the street with them. They are just too big. Plus they aren't the most stable things in the world either (ie, they could fall off your head).

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishing
The A900's are not portable. I am using them at work right now and I don't dare walk out of the office with them on. You would like a freak walking down the street with them. They are just too big. Plus they aren't the most stable things in the world either (ie, they could fall off your head).

True, the little pieces that stick up on the sides would be easy to grab by a NY mugger, however, I bet Bangraman would still wear them.

Perhaps for casual walking around town, a pair of Audio-technica earbud style headphones would suffice, just for temporary walking uses. However, that's another topic for another time, especially since it will take some convincing to get me off of the power of a pair of Etymotic er6i, which I feel could be the greatest thing to happen to portable useage in a long long time.

I still need to read the reviews on the AT earbuds.... They have one of a similar design to the Koss KSC-35s, those could be cool for walking around. But that's not what Bangraman is going to tell you. He'll tell you to shut up and wear the A900s, and you really rightly should.

EDIT: Oh well, I guess bangraman is a little softer than I originally thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 66
Adam you didn't mention criteria #3 in your first post = "Portable." In that case, it is the HD25-1 or nothing lol. The a900 isn't portable. or even transportable lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back