Any sailors on head-fi??
Oct 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Marcus_C

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes??

If there are any then I shall make you all jealous, guess what I was sailing over the weekend??

Admittedly it didn't look like that at all but no-one had a camera so I can't show any of my many capsizes, crash gybes, broaches and assorted other carnage. The wind was about a 3 gusting 5 so it was rather exciting. It was a good thing I was in my drysuit anyway otherwise I would've got very cold very fast. Anyway, any other sailors on head-fi? What do you sail? Got any good stories? When I can get time I sail a contender which I love, although foiling sure is fun!!!

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 7
090212-n-6597h-495_1024x768.jpg

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 7
You're a Navy man, Happy Camper? What do you do on the Stennis?

I think that the King of Sailer-Fi is most definitely Randerson.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 7
No, not actively. When the OP asked about sailors, I was expecting something like the Stennis.
\http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/244965/military-roll-call

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 7
My family has a Westerly Storm 33, as well as a Topper and Miracle dinghies, amongst other boat-esque things.
Nothing nearly as exciting as that though - my mother (who's in charge of navigation) is a bit of wimp and doesn't like to go out in more than a Force 5 or so.

Most interesting story I can think of is on this summer's sailing trip to the Netherlands when we manouvered badly in a marina, were caught by the wind and current and then managed to smash our rudder in (twice) bending it neatly at about 20 degrees off what it should have been. The rudder pin is a stainless steel rod a few inches thick, so we must have hit the marina bed pretty hard.
The most shocking thing is that four days later everything was repaired and we went back on our holiday... to wonderful semi-constant rain and gale force winds for the whole of the rest of our time in the Netherlands. Not our best trip, I can tell you - I got through it by sitting in my cabin listening to my then new RE-ZERO and trying to ingore the world around me.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Ay!

It was an X-Yachts 43, and I guess the best story is why it is no more.
Last winter while in storage in a big warehouse on the island of Karmøy, one of the heaters responsible for keeping steady above freezing temperatures in the hall had an electrical failure, causing sparks to go flying and set the whole building a blaze, together with our and a dozen other similar sized boats.

So it goes.

Here it is in Lerwick, Shetland. I'm on the other side of the camera.

Marcus, that's a Moth, is it not?

A dinghy fitted with hydrofoils seems pretty radical.
I've never been in anything close to that, very little dinghy sailing at all, really.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 7
^That sounds like a very expensive electrical fault for somebody..

Yes, it is a moth, the one I was playing with was a fastacraft design, they are like no other boat i've sailed, the level of development is just crazy. I think sailing one in a race would be pretty damn scary, i've no idea how they do it, I had trouble with the most basic manoeuvres, fully foiling tacks just look unnatural....

(Coldplay alert)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back