Any runners out there? What's your gear? Timex, Garmin, Polar...
Apr 25, 2008 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DylanNo

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking to take my running to the next level this summer and I was wondering what people use to improve their game.

I'm considering going for a gps unit to track my distance/speed and I am also looking for a heart rate monitor to go with it. So I have been looking in the usual suspects, Garmin, Timex and Polar. What do you guys recommend? I'm thinking Timex because its the cheapest but my main concern is to go with what is the most beneficial.

later.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 13
I am/was a runner. I should get back to it, but I haven't done it in a while. I have a Polar S625X - very nice watch. I found it helped me improve my speed, because without it I had no way of judging how fast I was going, so as I got more tired, I'd slow down. The Polar heart rate monitors are generally quite good. Look into the S200 model - that's my recommendation.

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 13
You know, I was wondering the same thing. I have spent quite a bit of time on the Polar site trying to figure out which watch would be best for me. I was thinking the RS200 would be good for me, but I can't figure out what kind of information you can upload your computer. Does anyone know if you can upload quite detailed information to your computer? Like a HR v. Time graph?

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 13
Add me as someone who's always been interested in heart monitors and mileage counters.

My watch is a Timex Ironman that's over ten years old. I up my game the old fashioned way - run intervals, hills, and measure distance by marker or pace. Tracking is accomplished through Excel.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm not to too concerned with recording my data on my computer cause I'll probably still go the old pen and paper route. I'm mostly concerned with a good HR monitor so I know when I am running in my best training zone. Something that records distance would be a perk because I will be running in a city thats new to me and I would like to be able to just run where ever and not worry about a measuring the distance every time.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanNo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And binaural fusion, if you run along the parkwaydrive/ottawa river, we'll probably cross paths this summer!

I live relatively rural, but I work downtown- so we just might! I'll be the one wearing Ety er4ps on the trail!

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 13
you might want to consider the whole nike+ thing. i don't know if that is any good compared to the others mentioned here, but it does seem to have all the features you want.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might want to consider the whole nike+ thing. i don't know if that is any good compared to the others mentioned here, but it does seem to have all the features you want.

Yea but I hate Nike and I don't own an Ipod. I have never owned a pair of Nikes that feel as good as my ASICS for running.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Binaural Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live relatively rural, but I work downtown- so we just might! I'll be the one wearing Ety er4ps on the trail!

How am I suppose to notice a pair of Ety er4ps while we are crossing paths? You should wear your Senns and I'll wear my Beyers and we'll be sure to notice each other!

On a serious note though, where are the best places to run in Ottawa? I live along the river on the Quebec side and I mostly run in the Gatineau park.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might want to consider the whole nike+ thing

I've wondered about this. Anyone have any experience with Nike+? I think it looks pretty snazzy.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 13
I've been using Garmin for the past 3 years and have been very happy. I own the Forerunner 301 which is GPS satellite based. I recently moved to the Forerunner 50 which uses a shoe pod that attaches to the top of the shoe and sends the info on pace, distance, etc to the watch for upload later. Both work well and both have a decent HR monitor. From what I understand the Polar HR's are more accurate and their watches offer more in terms of HR training if that is what you are most interested in. Its a little cheaper to go the Garmin route if you want speed and HR since they come with everything you need. The Polar watches require an additional purchase of the shoe pod. If you bike as well the GPS based systems are nice since you can use the same piece of gear for running and biking.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 13
When I was running, I could tell the amount of time I was out within two minutes +/- without a watch. Regardless of the length of the run. My pace was steady enough that I knew the distance too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back