any replacement pads for AKG k701/702
Jan 23, 2010 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Farnsworth

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a some AKG k702's and am really liking them. my only complaint is with the ear-pads. I find them somewhat uncomfortable under long listening periods.

So. I was wondering if anyone knew of any replacement pads for the 702's or pads that would fit on the 702's?

I searched high and low but with no success. it seems as if every other pair of headphones has replacement options but the 702's. i recently read a thread about J Money making a batch of pads for HD 580/600/650 and was wondering if anyone knew if J Money was thinking of doing the same thing with the 702's (im guessing no).

PLEASE, if anyone knows of any other pads for my 702's i would greatly thankful for the information.

Thanks.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 10
Nobody?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't know about availability, but just to let you know that I'm with you on this. I find the pads to be a bit stiff and unmalleable.

Perhaps though, we need to give them some more time. Some pad burn-in maybe?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnsworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought a some AKG k702's and am really liking them. my only complaint is with the ear-pads. I find them somewhat uncomfortable under long listening periods.

So. I was wondering if anyone knew of any replacement pads for the 702's or pads that would fit on the 702's?

I searched high and low but with no success. it seems as if every other pair of headphones has replacement options but the 702's. i recently read a thread about J Money making a batch of pads for HD 580/600/650 and was wondering if anyone knew if J Money was thinking of doing the same thing with the 702's (im guessing no).

PLEASE, if anyone knows of any other pads for my 702's i would greatly thankful for the information.
Thanks.
darthsmile.gif

Are you 702's new? The reason I am asking is if so it takes a bit of time for the pads to soften and conform to your head. Carefully pressing the cans on to your head will help with this process. Once done the 701/702's are some of the most comfortable headphones out there. Some complain about the bumps on the headband, but they have never been as issue for me. In fact I have fallen asleep on several occasions while listening. You are the first that I have heard of to complain about the pads. Just try wearing some Grados for a while and you will probably be thankful for the 701\702.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i am new owner of them. I've only had them for about a month now. they have softened up a bit but not as much as i would like. I guess ill just keep wearing them in hopes they soften up some more.

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 10
If I were you, I'd experiment with short pads. The 701s I bought had healthy, comfortable, pads that maximized ear/driver distance. This helped create that airy presentation, but it also meant that - without an amp - my cans were a little light on the bass. If you narrow the distance, by reducing the height of the cushion material, you'll get more bass without sacrificing HF. Just make sure that what you use is sonically transparent, not leatherette. The latter will turn your presentation to mud.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 10
I personally love the pads on the k701, but I did read somewhere on here that you could buy replacements for them. Not too sure about DIFFERENT ones, though.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 10
My 701s were used, and the pads were seriously like 50% smaller than the new ones I bought recently. the previous owner must have never taken them off his head.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 10
You could fit pads from K501s or similar, probably, since I use k601 pads on my k501.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back