any relatively unknown hard disk players/
Apr 13, 2005 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

fguihen

100+ Head-Fier
we all know all the irivers, the ipods, the creative labs, the rio's, but are there many hard disk players (10gb and up) that might not be bad, yet arnt really in the public eye?i know what is in the public eye will depend on location, but just in general, do you know of a player that you think isnt that well known but is good?

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 22
I can't believe how so little amount of people don't know iAudio. Their players are great quality. It is like the "unkown gem".
600smile.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richteralan
it's interesting that iAUDIO is only unknown HERE in head-fi
tongue.gif

They're sold as JNC brand in Australia.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fguihen
we all know all the irivers, the ipods, the creative labs, the rio's, but are there many hard disk players (10gb and up) that might not be bad, yet arnt really in the public eye?i know what is in the public eye will depend on location, but just in general, do you know of a player that you think isnt that well known but is good?

Actually, the public really only knows about Apple iPod
rolleyes.gif
. All the other brands of mp3 players just aren't that popular. Of course this might also depend on location as you mentioned, but from where I am I see a few people with iPods everyday, but only once did I see someone with a Rio.

Being here on Head Fi makes us a little different... we can actually name more then four companies that make daps.
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chino9334
Well i mean iAudio is unknown by common people not audiophiles. Most would never have heard of them.

Thats what I meant too.

Apr 13, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 22
Brands that the common oik might know (in descending order)
- ipod
- sony (but not the NW-HD series)
- iRiver
- Rio
- Philips (not the DAP side though)
- iAudio
- Yepp

When researching a new player I was trying to find out about the iAudio M3 and there was a real scarcity of proper information from people who had used it. I think prices also reflect it's niche status - they're pretty high.

My girlfriend thought that ipod was a generic term for all MP3 players. I can't decide if that's annoyingly ignorant or sweet....

Nick

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickd75
My girlfriend thought that ipod was a generic term for all MP3 players. I can't decide if that's annoyingly ignorant or sweet....

Nick

If you want to keep her.....you're better off thinking of it as sweet
icon10.gif

I would assume a good list of players would exist at www.dapreview.com.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 22
I think that the Archos MP3 players and multimedia players deserve way more attention than they get.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Brands that the common oik might know (in descending order)
- ipod
- sony (but not the NW-HD series)
- iRiver
- Rio
- Philips (not the DAP side though)
- iAudio
- Yepp

I disagree. In my experience, its

- ipod
- iRiver
- Umm........

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
If you want to keep her.....you're better off thinking of it as sweet
icon10.gif

I have taught my wife to use the term DAP. Of course it took me buying her a pink iPod mini for her to really care.... ( I own a Karma and NH700 HiMD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back