Any recommendations on a portable headphone amp??
Nov 13, 2010 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys - would like some recommendations on a portable headphone amp to connect between a desktop/ notebook PC - to headphones.

If it offers DAC - even better though I intend to use it for  purely headphone use. 

Needs to be under $600US and I like balanced, neutral monitor like sound, wide sound-staging and great instrumental separation,

Please advise - 

I will have a RSA SR-71A for use with my ipod - but I won't be able to hook that up my pc - so I am looking for a small amp for PC use mainly..

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 5
I like my DACport from CEntrance.  It's all about 1) PC/laptop use, 2) simplicity (no internal battery - it's all about the USB connection) and 3) transparency.  It's well within your budget too.

I like my DACport as much as my HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC or TTVJ Slim (DAC).  The niche it fills seems perfect for what your looking for.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Cheers people! I appreciate the input. 

However - the truth is I am now debating whether it is better to buy separate dac and amp or to get the combo. I care most about SQ. I have my eye on the RSA XP-7 and then I might buy a headroom micro dac to match it or just get an all in one dac/amp but I don't have any experience with this at all.

Also - then can I rely on USB cable to provide the best sound to get from the PC. I can certainly use opticals for my desktop but not my notebook. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back