Any recommendations of headphones within this criteria would be much appreciated!
Oct 2, 2016 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OnyxiasLair

New Head-Fier
Hey! Any help would be fantastic.

Budget - £200/$260
Use - Home use. Not need for isolation, but comfort is a must!
Genres - Rock/Metal and also gaming!
Amp? - I'll be using it with my audio interface that I use for my guitar, so no, I don't have a dedicated amp unfortunately!

Also, I live in the UK, if that makes a difference with availability!

Thanks in advance. I've heard this forum really knows their stuff so hopefully I can get some help here!

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Your interface has no amping at all?

The AKG K7XX is good,but needs and amp,but they meet most of your requirements....

Grados/Alessandros are good for rock and metal,but not comfy and dont think theyd be good for gaming.

The latest HE-400 might work well,dont know about the comfort though....

Fidelio X1/X2 meets all of your requirements,but I dont find them to be that great for rock/metal.

That list should keep you busy for a few hours.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 12
  Your interface has no amping at all?

The AKG K7XX is good,but needs and amp,but they meet most of your requirements....

Grados/Alessandros are good for rock and metal,but not comfy and dont think theyd be good for gaming.

The latest HE-400 might work well,dont know about the comfort though....

Fidelio X1/X2 meets all of your requirements,but I dont find them to be that great for rock/metal.

That list should keep you busy for a few hours.

It's this one. Would it be able to drive Beyerdynamics? I've heard good things about those!

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Steinberg-UR22-Mk-2-USB-Audio-Interface/1F0O#full-des

I've heard my friends AKG K702s, but they sound quite 'sterile' and cold. Great for mixing, but didn't jive with me that well for general listening. Are the K712's better?

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 12
I didnt see anything about the headphone jack stats,but there has to be some sort of voltage going in there,but I doubt its much.

Beyerdynamics? Which model? Try for low impedance versions with that interface,should work.Keep in mind that Beyers are generally quite bright(lots of treble)

I used to own the DT770,DT990 and T1 and didnt like any of them for metal,but YMMV

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 12

I've heard my friends AKG K702s, but they sound quite 'sterile' and cold. Great for mixing, but didn't jive with me that well for general listening. Are the K712's better?

IDK,never heard the K712,I was referring to the K7XX,which is the model name...AKG/Massdrop colab.

You can also check this thread for some more ideas

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 12

Ohhh apologies! Haha.
Thanks! I'll check them out, I'll need an amp I'm guessing. Can I use a headphone amp with my audio interface?

You will def need an amp with the K7XX,theyre not HE-6 hard to drive,but theyre not easy either.

Other members have disagreed with me in prior threads about amping the K7XX,but my Schiit Magni Uber 2 did NOT handle them well....they were loud enough,but the bass wasnt good,too ragged.

As far as your interface+an amp,I have no idea...if it has some sort of lineout then it should be able to,but I am not a spec/tech guy.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 12

You will def need an amp with the K7XX,theyre not HE-6 hard to drive,but theyre not easy either.

Other members have disagreed with me in prior threads about amping the K7XX,but my Schiit Magni Uber 2 did NOT handle them well....they were loud enough,but the bass wasnt good,too ragged.

As far as your interface+an amp,I have no idea...if it has some sort of lineout then it should be able to,but I am not a spec/tech guy.

Thanks for your help :)

Think i'll steer clear from the K7XX. I'd quite like something that I can plug straight into my interface! 

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 12
The bad thing about the K7XX is that you cannot try it before buying. Plus shipping and VAT expenses.

Try ATH-MSR7 or HD600/650. There are plenty of HiFi shops around UK - those two popular headphones won't be too hard to find.

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 12
  The bad thing about the K7XX is that you cannot try it before buying. Plus shipping and VAT expenses.

Try ATH-MSR7 or HD600/650. There are plenty of HiFi shops around UK - those two popular headphones won't be too hard to find.

Will need a hefty amp with the HD600/650, and no idea how to hook a headphone amp to an interface!

I'll look at the MSR7! Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back