Any Recommendations for the Best 5.1 Speaker Set up for around £800?
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PureJaz

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

A few months ago i was given advice to get some Sennheiser HD598's and i have absolutely love them.

I now want to get a full 5.1 Surround Sound system for my PC but have no idea where to start.

The only thing i have is an Asus Essence STX sounds card.

I have around £800 to spend to build the best system i can. I intend to use my computer as a media one have it hooked up to my TV.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 10
With that sort of budget, you could buy a pretty good AV receiver and 5.1 speaker package. Avoid all-in-one kits, go for a separate receiver and speaker package usually. You can find lots of good second hand stuff from AVForums.com, it's a UK site so will have plenty to choose from.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 10
With that sort of budget, you could buy a pretty good AV receiver and 5.1 speaker package. Avoid all-in-one kits, go for a separate receiver and speaker package usually. You can find lots of good second hand stuff from AVForums.com, it's a UK site so will have plenty to choose from.

+1

Speaker models and prices are different here in the US, so AVForums is a good place to ask for help. Not everyone on head-fi is from North America, but a lot are.

You will need HDMI output from your computer if you intend to play DVD or bluray off of your computer on your TV. Most modern gaming graphic cards have this capability. Fewer motherboards have it built in, but that's possible too. Then you can run digital audio AND video from your computer to your receiver (HDMI carries both), and then from your receiver to your TV.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Any recommendations on a good AV receiver and 5.1 speaker package for that price?.

The HDMI port will not be an issue. MY GFX card and Mobo both have one :p

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 10
How much space do you have? If you've got a big enough space, I'd fill out your room with Wharfedale Diamonds (floor standers for fronts, 10.1's for rears, etc) and get a nice Onkyo AVR. I'd probably put £300 towards the AVR, £500 for speakers, roughly. There are of course other options, but you won't find too many people that have bad things to say about these products. They offer good bang for your pound.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 10
+1

Wharfedale Diamonds have a great reputation here in the US. I would be that they must be a really good buy in the UK, assuming they aren't gouging you guys on prices for selling UK speakers in the UK. LOL

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 10
I just bought some mint black Diamond 10.1's for £80 off ebay. :D They've discontinued the 10.x series now and are doing the Diamond 100 series, which are getting really good reviews. They're too new to find 2nd hand though. But with an £800 budget, that shouldn't be a problem. You just won't be able to get the big floorstanders.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

The only thing i have is an Asus Essence STX sounds card.

If you're going full HT set-up with this as the others suggested, the HT receiver basically replaces the sound card, save for using a soundcard to output an SPDIF signal if the motherboard doesn't have it. What video card do you have? The newer ones output digital audio through HDMI, just make sure they're v1.3 and up (ie, HDMI HD audio compatible). Aside from the convenience of having just one cable (no more SPDIF coax or optical cable), some high-res audio formats have issues going through the older SPDIF system; I've seen a few posts in HTPC threads where DTS-HD Master Audio doesn't go through SPDIF for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back