Any recommendations for studio monitors?
Jul 26, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_0220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greatdane,

The Adam A7 looks great. I really like to have the Mackie HR624 but it is way out of my budget. I was thinking of getting the MR5. have you auditioned the HRs before? How is it? You think the MR5 will be very far from it?

In the $1000 range,the Adam A7 monitors seem to be the ones to beat.I have a pair of Event ALP5s and they are OK for their price but perform short of my Von Schweikert VR-1 bookshelf speakers. The Adam A5 5" monitors are more expensive than the ALP5 and look interesting but these are so new that not many people have heard them. I have not heard the 5" Mackies. I would not buy them before comparing them to the Event and Adam monitors first.

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 28
For $500, Mackie MR8, Event TR8, or M-Audio BX8a Deluxe.

For under $400, Mackie MR5, Event TR6, or M-Audio BX5a Deluxe.
tongue.gif

If you're willing to buy used, you may be able to swing for a pair of Mackie HR624 or HR824mk1, or Dynaudio BM5A.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $500, Mackie MR8, Event TR8, or M-Audio BX8a Deluxe.

For under $400, Mackie MR5, Event TR6, or M-Audio BX5a Deluxe.
tongue.gif

If you're willing to buy used, you may be able to swing for a pair of Mackie HR624 or HR824mk1, or Dynaudio BM5A.

I have a question......if i am using it really nearfield most of the time, like infront of a computer....do i need to go for bigger drivers? I think the 8inch drivers are too big for my use. Will there be any sonic difference between different sizes?

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 28
There are you just too many monitors out there even at any price range, i really have no idea how to choose them......

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #21 of 28
Alright guys i've done my research, for lower price i'll most likely stick to the MR5. But i am now considering between the HR624MkII or Dynaudio BM5A. Both equally priced but the Dynaudio only have single XLR input. Seen good reviews on both, any one lucky enough to tried both before? I also searched the Dynaudio site, not Dynaudio Acoustics, apparently they are different, they have this multimedia speakers that look exactly the same as the BM5A called MC15, but it comes with RCA input. I wonder which is better?

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Alright guys i've done my research, for lower price i'll most likely stick to the MR5. But i am now considering between the HR624MkII or Dynaudio BM5A. Both equally priced but the Dynaudio only have single XLR input. Seen good reviews on both, any one lucky enough to tried both before? I also searched the Dynaudio site, not Dynaudio Acoustics, apparently they are different, they have this multimedia speakers that look exactly the same as the BM5A called MC15, but it comes with RCA input. I wonder which is better?

All of the monitors I listed have different sound signatures. If you go to a local music store with a pro audio section, you'll be able to listen to the speakers to find a sound signature that you prefer. The Mackies are accurate, but some people find them to be fatiguing and a little loose in the low end in an untreated room. The Dynaudios are a bit cool in the upper midrange, but this makes them less fatiguing for many people. However, they don't have the solid bass extension or imaging of the Mackies.

MC15 is the same speaker as the BM5A, but the MC15 has a built-in preamplifier (volume knob) and is marketed toward the computer speaker crowd.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 28
i just hooked up my new pair of BM5a's this afternoon and they sound excellent. have not compared to the Mackie though. sound quality is at least two cuts above the Audioengines i am returning next week. i would say go for the BM5a's and save yourself some coin -- the addition of the preamp is handy but not for $500. get a pair of XLR to RCA cables and hook it up directly to your DAC or computer or what have you.

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MC15 is the same speaker as the BM5A, but the MC15 has a built-in preamplifier (volume knob) and is marketed toward the computer speaker crowd.

Just want to politely point out that your statement is incorrect.

The MC15 is exactly the same as the BM5A Compact, that is, neither has any sort of variable gain control (read: volume). You need a separate preamp or software volume control with the MC15.

I drive my MC15 with a Headroom Micro amp as a preamp and use that as the volume controller.....instead of relying on software control (which will work fine but isn't ideal because it just reduces the amplitude by dropping bits)

There is no difference in sound quality between the MC15 and BM5A Compact. The BM5A Compact is a smaller version of the standard BM5A. The MC15 is the same as the BM5A-Compact but instead has a grille, metal stands, and RCA inputs instead of balanced inputs. The MC15 won't sound the same as the larger BM5A because it uses smaller bass driver and has a much smaller cabinet

For the OP, If I were doing it again, I would have no hesitation with buying the MC15 again. The only advantage with the MC15 is that it has a grille and metal stands, but if you don't care about that, get the BM5A or BM5A Compact, because it's actually likely they will be cheaper since I notice that they seem more discounted at music stores from the regular MSRP (as opposed to the MC15 which is sold by hifi retailers mostly)

However, I would definitely give the new Adam A5's an audition first.

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #25 of 28
I am not sure if i am right, how can the MC15 sound the same with BM5A, first of all i noticed that they have different inputs, if you have a balanced source the BM5A iMO should sound better and i don't see any base port on the MC15, but the BM5A is rear ported. I don't know which will sound better, but it definately sounds different isn't it?

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #26 of 28
the A5 i briefly heard at GC had a less "fun" sound characteristic, possibly because of its bass response. it may be a better monitor for lighter treble focused listening though, but i think the Dynaudio was more in line with what i was looking for.

edit: not that the Dynaudio tweeter disappoints, of course
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to politely point out that your statement is incorrect.

The MC15 is exactly the same as the BM5A Compact, that is, neither has any sort of variable gain control (read: volume). You need a separate preamp or software volume control with the MC15.

Whoops! You're right on all counts. The BM5A Compact vs. BM5A is an important distinction to make. I totally forgot about the Compact version; I've only ever seen the regular BM5A in person. Maybe I was confusing the MC15s with Adam A7s... I know those have a front-mounted input gain control, though each speaker's volume would have to be set individually.

OP, it's probably best to get a DAC/preamp (preferably balanced) and go straight to the speakers from it, as warpdriver says.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

I am not sure if i am right, how can the MC15 sound the same with BM5A, first of all i noticed that they have different inputs, if you have a balanced source the BM5A iMO should sound better and i don't see any base port on the MC15, but the BM5A is rear ported. I don't know which will sound better, but it definately sounds different isn't it?

The BM5A-Compact is exactly the same speaker as the MC15 except for the input jacks which were converted to unbalanced RCA. Whether it sounds different because of its balanced input, that is up to you to decide, but certainly you should definitely buy the BM series if you have a balanced source to enjoy the theoretcal technical advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back