Any recommendations for good closed-ear designed cans?
Feb 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Grado Diesel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm new to joining this site but have searched through it for a year or so. I own two pairs of Grado's: 15 year old SR-60s and a year old pair of SR-80i's. I love the sound quality, stage presence and customer support of Grados. However I work in an office environment and my SR-80i's are starting to annoy my neighbors with their leakage of guitar solos and horn lines.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of closed-ear designed cans, preferably under $300? I've owned a variety of Bose from AE1s to the QC15s and they don't even touch the sound fidality of the Grados and cost 2 to 3 times as much.
Thanks-

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Maybe Beyerdynamic DT770. Closed design, super comfortable for long listening sessions, and I really liked the sound of them when I tried my buddies.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 8
I did a little research. Those Beyerdynamic DT 770s come in different ohm ratings. What would I want to use directly in to an IPod Classic? I'm assuming the 250 ohm model would take more juice to power the driver vice the 32 ohm.

Also, some examples of music I listen to are Allman Bros, Steely Dan, Jeff Beck, Miles Davis, Umphrey's McGee... music that benefits greatly from quality cans. Every once in a blue moon some rap will go through, but I'm definitely looking for some cans that have a nice balance like the SR-80s do.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Feb 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 8
SRH840. It won't sound open like Grados, but it's clear. It plays everything well that I've tried it with (classical, jazz, metal / rock). It doesn't need amping though, like everything, it will be even better amped. It's pretty durable too. The only downside is the headband, which is heavy and needs more padding, but there's a common mod for that. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi,
I'm new to joining this site but have searched through it for a year or so. I own two pairs of Grado's: 15 year old SR-60s and a year old pair of SR-80i's. I love the sound quality, stage presence and customer support of Grados. However I work in an office environment and my SR-80i's are starting to annoy my neighbors with their leakage of guitar solos and horn lines.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of closed-ear designed cans, preferably under $300? I've owned a variety of Bose from AE1s to the QC15s and they don't even touch the sound fidality of the Grados and cost 2 to 3 times as much.
Thanks-

Hello,

If you wish to look for something that sound natural and neutral, look into the
AKG K550 http://uk.akg.com/akg-k550-uk.html
PSB M4U1 http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-1-Headphones

Or if you are willing to add $100, I strongly recommend the Bang and Olufsen H6 http://www.beoplay.com/Products/BeoplayH6?_ga=1.84883225.1490431207.1391610543

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back