Any recommendations for a very durable IEM?
Dec 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dylan4693

New Head-Fier
Background: I had never considered paying more than $30 for headphones and believed the basic ibuds were sufficient until I bought the Ultimate Ears 700 at a moments notice during a big sale. I fell in love with these and couldn't believe what I had been missing out on. I have always been incredibly cautious of the safety of my gadgets, however, these headphones have just broken at the auxiliary plug for the second time and I am planning to sell them If I can get one more replacement.

Now that I've went high end, I can't go back; and my bad experience has made me even more cautious about durability when it comes to my second pair. It's not that I even do many strenuous activities while wearing them, simply when walking across campus and in my dorm. I need a new pair that I can throw in my front pocket and have no concerns during normal activity. I am willing to pay around $100 but can go a little higher. I primarily listen to rock but am expanding to a wide variety of genres, so I pretty much need an all arounder. I'm playing from an Ipod Touch 2nd gen if that needs to be mentioned as well.

First Post! I've been browsing the community for some time and have received unrivaled information from various other posts. Thanks in advance.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 16
I have experienced the same problem as you and I have found 2 headphones which are reportedly strong or from my experienced not headphones which die within a week.

Monster Jamz: I am aware Head Fi hates Monster but their claim is that they can withstand a hammer and still play. If its true then that's impressive. Never used these. Appox. $100

Philips O'Neill The Specked: I've used these and found them to fairly good at being indestructible but the sound quality, comfort, and annoying wind like noise when ever you move, make them less of a value. The cord is covered in a ski rope like thread. These are priced around $30.

Hope this helps.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 16
Headfi doesnt hate Monster. Its just some of their products are overpriced. However the Monster Turbines are generally quite respected around here and are very tough. Watch out for the cabling though, which are not very good.

Quote:
I have experienced the same problem as you and I have found 2 headphones which are reportedly strong or from my experienced not headphones which die within a week.

Monster Jamz: I am aware Head Fi hates Monster but their claim is that they can withstand a hammer and still play. If its true then that's impressive. Never used these. Appox. $100

Philips O'Neill The Specked: I've used these and found them to fairly good at being indestructible but the sound quality, comfort, and annoying wind like noise when ever you move, make them less of a value. The cord is covered in a ski rope like thread. These are priced around $30.

Hope this helps.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 16
Sorry, I should have made it clearer that I am looking for durability primarily referring to the auxiliary plug end which receives pressure when placed in the pocket. I actually do not even need the piece that goes in your ear to be that strong as it is easier to keep safe. Putting the device in my pocket and putting pressure on the jack is inevitable. As long as the jack end can withstand the exerted pressure from being in my pocket while walking, the headphones should never be damaged.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Sorry, I should have made it clearer that I am looking for durability primarily referring to the auxiliary plug end which receives pressure when placed in the pocket. I actually do not even need the piece that goes in your ear to be that strong as it is easier to keep safe. Putting the device in my pocket and putting pressure on the jack is inevitable.

flip your player around, problemo solved

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I should have made it clearer that I am looking for durability primarily referring to the auxiliary plug end which receives pressure when placed in the pocket. I actually do not even need the piece that goes in your ear to be that strong as it is easier to keep safe. Putting the device in my pocket and putting pressure on the jack is inevitable.

flip your player around, problemo solved

I wish it were that simple. The auxiliary port is facing upwards in my pocket if that is what you are wondering. I imagine pointing it downwards would generate more strain on the jack and be more uncomfortable.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 16
Wrap the cord individually around three fingers, not plugged into your device. If you're placing your device into a pocket with the cable still plugged in, it's no wonder you're getting poor longevity.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 16
you probably should look for phones with right angled plugs if you keep your player in your pocket and have issues with the ue700s plug. The new shure line and westones have right angled plugs.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Quote:
you probably should look for phones with right angled plugs if you keep your player in your pocket and have issues with the ue700s plug. The new shure line and westones have right angled plugs.

Any model that you recommend specifically?

Since you like the u700s, i would say the westone 3's because they also share a v-shaped sound signature, but they also cost more than twice as much as your ue700s. hard to give a better recommendation without knowing your budget or what type of sound you're looking for

edit: sorry, just read your op agin and see that you have a $100 budget. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I heard klipsch S5i was really durable... but I never heard them...

I've been considering the dynamics of the plug being in a pocket and I feel that even the most durable straight plug can not compare to an angled plug.
I'm starting to think all I really need are phones with a right angle plug (L-shaped).
The klipsch S5i are pretty appealing but I can't seem to find an image or any information regarding the plug on these.

It seems that every set of phones that I almost settle on have a single fatal flaw that completely turns me away from them:
The RE0's newest model I believe has an angled plug but are consensually slightly underpowered.
The RE-zero's require an extra plug converter
The HJE900's are out of production
The Xcape's have a straight plug

I've narrowed it down to: Branwavz M3, Klipsch S5i, Sennheiser IE6, Sennheiser IE7

On Amazon the IE6's can be purchased refurbished for ~$60, and even though many on headfi can verify, I still question the authenticity. For ~$112 they can be purchased new. Similarly, the IE7's are available refurbished for ~$95 from a lightly more reputable, but still questionable retailer on amazon. Buying the IE7's new is out of the question.

So my current research has given me the following preferences (in order):
1. Sennheiser IE6, New, $112
2. Sennheiser IE7, Refurb, $95
3. Sennheiser IE6, Refurb, $60
4. Klipsch S5i, New, $130
5. SW-Xcape, New, $80

If you have any advice on the listed or another set that I haven't mentioned, please reply because I'm pretty stuck right now. I'd rather spend $60 for refurbished IE6's but don't want to suffer a similar experience that I had with my UE 700's. It is quite a steep jump to $112 for a new pair though.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Quote:
I heard klipsch S5i was really durable... but I never heard them...

I've been considering the dynamics of the plug being in a pocket and I feel that even the most durable straight plug can not compare to an angled plug.
I'm starting to think all I really need are phones with a right angle plug (L-shaped).
The klipsch S5i are pretty appealing but I can't seem to find an image or any information regarding the plug on these.

It seems that every set of phones that I almost settle on have a single fatal flaw that completely turns me away from them:
The RE0's newest model I believe has an angled plug but are consensually slightly underpowered.
The RE-zero's require an extra plug converter
The HJE900's are out of production
The Xcape's have a straight plug

I've narrowed it down to: Branwavz M3, Klipsch S5i, Sennheiser IE6, Sennheiser IE7

On Amazon the IE6's can be purchased refurbished for ~$60, and even though many on headfi can verify, I still question the authenticity. For ~$112 they can be purchased new. Similarly, the IE7's are available refurbished for ~$95 from a lightly more reputable, but still questionable retailer on amazon. Buying the IE7's new is out of the question.

So my current research has given me the following preferences (in order):
1. Sennheiser IE6, New, $112
2. Sennheiser IE7, Refurb, $95
3. Sennheiser IE6, Refurb, $60
4. Klipsch S5i, New, $130
5. SW-Xcape, New, $80

If you have any advice on the listed or another set that I haven't mentioned, please reply because I'm pretty stuck right now. I'd rather spend $60 for refurbished IE6's but don't want to suffer a similar experience that I had with my UE 700's. It is quite a steep jump to $112 for a new pair though.

This is the first I've heard of the ie6 refurbs. $60 seems like a good price. Anyone have experience with this seller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back