Any recommendations for a pair of self - powered monitors for MUSIC EDITING and LISTENING
Feb 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
Would like some suggestions for a SMALL pair of monitors to use for music editing and playback. I use Cubase 6 and a MOTU Audio Interface - the speakers would be connected to the MOTU...would appreciate some ideas...

I am looking for clear, transparent speakers - ie. monitors ... 

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 8
I would probably go for the Behringers as the Yamaha's have an odd phasey character on voices as if somethings not quite right with the crossover & yes I have heard them. I haven'y heard the Behringers but they seem to get decent reviews.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 8
That's an odd comment on the Yamaha HS series since they have been praised for the clarity of the vocals.  Check you room or source material for there ain't anything unusual or untoward about their reproduction of vocals.  Ella Fitzgerald on them sounds fantastic.

What's your budget?

You've got $200, look to the Fostex PM0.4n
You've got $400, look to the Yamaha HS50M
You've got $600, look to the Yamaha MSP5 Studio
You've got $800, look to the Focal CMS 40 (or the Yamaha HS50M plus subwoofer)
You've got $1,000, look to the Focal CMS 50

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
That's an odd comment on the Yamaha HS series since they have been praised for the clarity of the vocals.  Check you room or source material for there ain't anything unusual or untoward about their reproduction of vocals.  Ella Fitzgerald on them sounds fantastic.

What's your budget?

You've got $200, look to the Fostex PM0.4n
You've got $400, look to the Yamaha HS50M
You've got $600, look to the Yamaha MSP5 Studio
You've got $800, look to the Focal CMS 40 (or the Yamaha HS50M plus subwoofer)
You've got $1,000, look to the Focal CMS 50

Never said vocals weren't clear but they did seem to have an odd character. Vocals are in fact really clear but so was thier phasey character. Maybe the ones I heard were abused & need to have one or more of it's drivers replaced.They were at Guitar Center & they seemed to like to abuse this particular model there as many were used as synthesizer speakers & we all know that synths really abuse the tweeters especially but even the woofers got a solid workout on the synths so these speakers may have been hooked to a synth earlier then tranfered to the recording room.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 8
$600 to $800US is my budget. I don't want them to be too small but not larger than medium either. I use a MOTU 828mk3 hybrid audio interface. I need them to be self powered without need of an amp of course... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back