Any recommendation for dap
Apr 2, 2019 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zer0Dy

New Head-Fier
Hi, thanks for reading this post. I’m currently using jomo flamenco paired with ibasso dx90. As my dx90 is getting old, I will like to replace it to a dap with Android os (able to support Spotify etc), preferably within the range of 400~500usd.
Below are some of the dap that I’m interested in right now but can’t really make up my mind.
1) fiio M9
2) hiby r6
3) onkyo dp-x1a

Hoping the experts here could share with me your experience and recommendations if you have any. Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 13
From what i have tried the Hiby and fiio i thought the Hiby sounded better to me in terms of the separation of instrument and is a tad darker to me. The fiio if i remember correctly has 3 different output 2.5 3.5 and 4.4? ( dont quote me on this) but that is more versatile i guess. But i liked the sound of the hiby better as for onkyo i heard they had some issues so i never tried those. Hope it helps :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 13
I recently tried the Hiby R6 and R6 pro at canjam, I'm quite impressed with the performance from the Hiby lineup but as mentioned above, the R6 may have high impedance and may not suit certain iem well. I own the Fiio M9, it's definitely a very good mid-fi DAP that performs better than its price. I'm able to stream Spotify and Tidal offline on top of my own music library within the SD card. The UI is good, very user-friendly and has a decent sound (a bit on the warmer side) and it comes with a 3.5mm SE as well as a 2.5mm balanced output. The problem I have with it is that there's only 1 SD card slot instead of 2 like some other DAP and maybe the lack of RAM which might make it a bit slow (but still very snappy when I'm using it for anything else) when I transition from Tidal to Spotify but the "slow" just a second or two that's all. If you don't mind spending a bit more than the M9 you may want to look out for the M11 that is releasing soon. The UI on that and build on it is amazing and it is well within your budget.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 13
From what i have tried the Hiby and fiio i thought the Hiby sounded better to me in terms of the separation of instrument and is a tad darker to me. The fiio if i remember correctly has 3 different output 2.5 3.5 and 4.4? ( dont quote me on this) but that is more versatile i guess. But i liked the sound of the hiby better as for onkyo i heard they had some issues so i never tried those. Hope it helps :)
Thank you for the advise, I have read a lot of good review about the r6 too but it also cost more then the fiio m9 so I’m wondering if there’s a huge difference between the two device.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 13
I recently tried the Hiby R6 and R6 pro at canjam, I'm quite impressed with the performance from the Hiby lineup but as mentioned above, the R6 may have high impedance and may not suit certain iem well. I own the Fiio M9, it's definitely a very good mid-fi DAP that performs better than its price. I'm able to stream Spotify and Tidal offline on top of my own music library within the SD card. The UI is good, very user-friendly and has a decent sound (a bit on the warmer side) and it comes with a 3.5mm SE as well as a 2.5mm balanced output. The problem I have with it is that there's only 1 SD card slot instead of 2 like some other DAP and maybe the lack of RAM which might make it a bit slow (but still very snappy when I'm using it for anything else) when I transition from Tidal to Spotify but the "slow" just a second or two that's all. If you don't mind spending a bit more than the M9 you may want to look out for the M11 that is releasing soon. The UI on that and build on it is amazing and it is well within your budget.
I wouldn’t mind waiting for a second or two as long as it doesn’t hang there for awhile haha. Thanks for the advise, will defined check out the m11 when it’s release.

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Thank you for the advise, I have read a lot of good review about the r6 too but it also cost more then the fiio m9 so I’m wondering if there’s a huge difference between the two device.
In short the differences are subtle and not as great as going from a phone to a dap. As you can quote from law of diminishing returns however i would say if you plan to use it long term spending abit more for a better sound quality for the extended duration may be better worth it. Also the hiby is quite heavy but also feels solid in hand as compared to fiio even the m11 feels lighter haha. Also forgot to mention tried the m11 at canjam but was brief but i think its gonna come out end of month or may forgot the release date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back