Any recommandation on good sounding Motor run caps?
Apr 7, 2008 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
yes, those giant high voltage motor run caps. They are pretty inexpensive but there are so many different brands/kinds, I don't want to spend a bunch of $ to try them all.... Any recommadations? Somebody must have tried them before
biggrin.gif

Planning to use them for tube amp signal input/output.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 4
I have tried quite a few different ones. GE Dielektrol VI are my favorite, but Aerovox Supermet sound almost as good.
Most brands I have tried sound better then the Blackgates, Cerafines and most of the other dry film caps I have tried, so I would not be afraid to just try a set at random. I also think the they sound better by themselves, without any kind of bypass. Never hurts to try, though.

Edit- Make sure that they are "motor run", not "motor start" type. Don't know what the internal difference is, but the "start" caps seem to all sound crappy.

Audiocat, I am in Portland. send me a PM if you in Vancouver, or are going to attend VSAC. I can give you a couple pairs of caps to play with. I have spares.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the info, especially the tip on "motor run" vs. "motor start"
biggrin.gif

Budgie, I am in Seattle, Portland is a little too far away.... Is VSAC the tube meet? I am not a tube person (yet), so I probably won't be there. Thanks for the offer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back