Any receiver or integrated amp that can match a vintage Marantz receiver for headamp?
Dec 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
After hearing a number of amplifiers of the years, I've come to realize that my vintage Marantz 2252B is a respectable amplifier both for headphones and speakers. I'm looking to buy a modern receiver or integrated amplifier that can compare with headphone out of the Marantz. Or is it not possible to find inexpensive receivers with good headphone outs nowadays? (around $200)

Many thanks,
Venio

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 6
"Or is it not possible to find inexpensive receivers with good headphone outs nowadays? (around $200)"

I think you will find that the makers of budget electronics of today have had to cut a lot of corners to hit an "around $200" price point. A quality headphone output is likely to be one of the first corners cut too. As many never even use headphones with their stereo systems.

- augustwest

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

As many never even use headphones with their stereo systems.

And reviewers never review the performance of their headphone outputs.

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I wish I could have the same response, but USPS (and seller's poor packaging-wrapping a receiver in flimsy bubble wrap?) broke my incoming Marantz 2230. Now I'm still shopping for an amp...

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 6
I would sugest looking into other integrated amps past marantz, they are obviousy good amps but alittle over priced IMO. there was a thread recently that went over alot of vintage amps.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 6
I just got a Marantz 2252B and must agree its a very respectable amplifier both for headphones and speakers. I'm not aware of any modern amps that can compare, regardless of price. The headphone section of every modern amp seems almost completely ignored by the designers. It seems like its put in as an afterthought. Try taking your fav cans and fav CD to your local electronics shop (Circuit City ect...) and trying each amp out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back