Any reason not to tape up my 'phone cables for armourment?
Apr 2, 2006 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Nomada

Head-Fier
I just spent a bit of money on some decent headphones, but I have a bit of a history with smokes hanging out of my mouth burning up the wires. I was gonna tape them up with electrical tape for better protection. Any reason not to??

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 41
Your burning your headphones while your smoking...... WOW. Hate to sound like a negative nancy here but how about dont smoke by the headphones?? Anyways With that said my friend tapes up his headphone cords and I cant tell any sound difference. He did it for a lil more durability and a cat issue
etysmile.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 41
plus your cans will smell like second hand smoke for the rest of its life and the smoke particles can mess up your drivers. if it's something like a Sony V600, more power to you, but I'd feel bad for any nicer can.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 41
You know, I just realized this guy might be a rocker type, in which case there ain't no shame in a little duct tape. But why do the cable when Real Musicians do the Cans?

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomada
What people?? I didn't post this to be told that "smoking is bad, mkay." I just want to know if tape really can be a source of microphonics.

Yes it can. Plus it adds weight (and thus strain) on the cord too.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomada
What people?? I didn't post this to be told that "smoking is bad, mkay." I just want to know if tape really can be a source of microphonics.

but you can't deny it's bad. a sig that says "For the love of all that is good in this World, please quit smoking." would be good. save the headphones

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 41
It's only a bit of tape though. Not like an elephant is playing swingset on them.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 41
Yeah, for me there's totally an asthetic part of listening to music that makes the whole experience richer. If my cords were wrapped in electrical tape I would....lose something. I couldnt really tell you what it was, but it would be gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back